mom\'s 1st chemo

15 years 8 months ago #19913 by joeburg55
Replied by joeburg55 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
I havent followed this alot so , let me say this, i was 52 when i started my chemo and radiation, i dont know how old your Mom is, and of course being gentelman i would never ask LOL. But if she is going on week 2 and hanging on the recliner, shes doing better than alot of peeps (thier is that word again)i was on my recliner ALOT! belive it or not, your body learns how to cope, and like all of us, good days , bad days. Hang in there, she will do just fine
joeburg55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19835 by patticake1957
Replied by patticake1957 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Thanks to all of you for the support sent my way. Mom did get her Gemzar on Thursday. She received Decadron IV before the Gemzar and that seemed to make her feel alot better. Friday was a good day and today was even better. I agree the Cisplatin is nasty stuff. Now we have a week + off. She needs the rest and the rest of us do too.

15 years 9 months ago #19571 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Dear Patticake,

I found the Gemz/Cispl chemo to be accumulative and the first few cycles for me had only side effects of tiredness.

The last two cycles hit me harder after the Cisplatinum and I had flu like symptoms with nasty joint pain and general tiredness which made me sleep loads.

Luckilly I had no nausea and my appetite increased due to the steroids which piled on a few unwanted kilo's....

I am now two months post chemo regime and feeling my old self again....

All the very best...

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 9 months ago #19564 by newbie08
Replied by newbie08 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Hi Patti,

Just to let you know, my dad is currently going through Cis/Gem too! His regime is Day 1 Cis/Gem, Day 8 Gem Day 15 Off!! He started on his second round last Thursday, last month he had Cis/Gem on a Thursday, he was really good all weekend and in great form (I think this could be the steroids!) then on Monday he started feeling really awful and was totally knocked out, that lasted until Wednesday/Thursday but by Thursday he was feeling a little better! He got the Gem on Thursday and he tolerated that very well thankfully, he was in good form and went to work and played golf for the next 2 weeks etc which was great having him back, we still spoiled him a little to keep his spirits up! Unfortunately he was back last Thursday for his 2nd round of Cis/Gem, as happened the last time he has been totally wiped out again since Sunday, he’s really miserable, so tired and pains everywhere!! It’s really horrible to see and we all feel so helpless especially when we can not relate to how awful they are feeling but we just have to hope that this chemo will work and it’ll all be worth it!

If you want to email me then feel free, I think it helps to mail people that are going through the same thing!

Thinking of you and hoping your mum tolerates the gem ok on Thursday!

15 years 9 months ago #19532 by patticake1957
Replied by patticake1957 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Thank you for all of the replies. We go back on Thursday for an infusion of Gemzar. We go on Friday for a shot of Nulastin. Then we get a week off before we start again. I appreciate the replies.
rene

15 years 9 months ago #19528 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Hello,

This all sounds very familiar. My father has the same regiman and when he had that combo he was wiped out for about 6 days. We just tried to make sure that he was well hydrated and fed. It is very difficult but we just keep telling ourselves that the chemo is doing its job. Hope this helps.

Melissa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne