helloo all--we're back!

15 years 10 months ago #17238 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic helloo all--we're back!
Stephany,

Did it quit snowing there in Iowa???? At least your drive was a easier one!!! Seriously, I am sorry your back visiting the hospital again, haven't heard from you for so long. Hope all goes well with this surgery, and he gets home soon, to the couch that you thought was big enough for everyone. keep us posted...
Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17237 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic helloo all--we're back!
Thanks, guys. Once again, it wasn't a quick patch-up. He was in surgery nearly seven hours. The doc said he had to repair several hernias and torn adhesions. He said he put a lot of mesh in there, and he will look like he had a tummy tuck, so there's a silver lining. :D

The resection went well, once they found the stricture, and he should be good to go in a few weeks.

He's back in his room, asleep. When he got back to his room, I went out for Indian food, and I'm back now, to watch and make sure he gets his night meds, and then back to the motel for me. Sleep, sleep, sleep. And maybe some chocolate.

Melodie, you're right about it being a piece of cake, but the prep and aftereffects nearly did me in. The doctor told me he'd see me again in 10 years, but I didn't tell him that in 10 years I'll be nearly 70, and I don't think I could do the prep at that age.

On the other hand, maybe by then there will be a "whole 'nother" procedure. Let's hope!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 11 months ago #17232 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic helloo all--we're back!
Stephany,

Hoping and praying you get good news...yes, caregiving can be an exhausting job so do get your rest when you can...Good you got the colon check done; I did mine while trying to determine what was wrong with me...couldn't believe how simple and easy a procedure that was...and compared to so many other procedures, it's a piece of cake.
Wishing you and yours the best. Hugs...Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 11 months ago #17230 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic helloo all--we're back!
Hi Stephany, You've already been in my thoughts and prayers this morning :). Hope you'll be able to post soon that it was a simple resection and that he'll be home soon. I have missed our "chats" but understand completely!! Take care and give Doran our wishes for a speedy recovery. Margot and Harry

15 years 11 months ago #17226 by Stephany
helloo all--we're back! was created by Stephany
Hellooo to all, from Iowa. We're back in the hospital, hopefully for the LAST surgery! Doran is having a resection of a blocked ureter, secondary to the stretching caused by the cystectomy/Indiana pouch. He's been wearing a nephrostomy out of his left kidney since November, and then developed a blood clot from the chemo, so it has taken this long to schedule the surgery.

He's been in surgery for about two hours now, so I'm hoping to hear something soon. If they can do a simple resection, he'll be out in four days. If they need to use another piece of bowel, it will be at least a week. We're all hopeful for the former, but prepared for the latter (that stuff does NOT get any better tasting each time you use it. I can attest to that. I finally listened to my gyn and had my first colonoscopy last week. I figured I should get it done while he was relatively healthy and able to care for me.)

Anyway, I had to check in and say thanks for all the support in the past, and to let you all know how things are going. The pouch is doing well, but it's only draining one kidney right now, but getting up to 1000 cc's without a leak, so things look pretty good right now.

Margot, Ginger and all the rest. I've missed chatting with you. But you of all people know how busy one gets when caretaking. And taking care of oneself, too!

"Talk" to you later.

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne