helloo all--we're back!

15 years 10 months ago #17304 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic helloo all--we're back!
Well, I had to do SOMETHING ??? And I love doing those repetitive tasks that occupy your hands, so I don't snack ;D

Explode he might.....but at least he's getting better. And no problems with them not giving him the right meds, so no depression problems this time.

He's even remembering to "deep breathe". When I left him today, he was going back to sleep.

I'm taking tonight off, and sleeping in my own bed. I came home, picked up the dogs and now I'm cleaning out the spam, and going to watch TV.

Julie....you should have seen me scouring the ward for a recliner! The lady whose husband was in the other bed had asked for a recliner, and hadn't gotten help yet, and here I come in, rolling a recliner I stole out of an empty room. Bet she could have strangled me. I felt bad, and when I came back that evening, I was going to tell her she could sleep in it, because she was staying overnight, but by then she had her own.

That's the only way I could spend much time there....with my feet up.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17289 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic helloo all--we're back!
Stephany,
Thinking of you and Doran, the multitasking your doing impresses me, I use to just sit there and look at Gene as if was going to blow up or something. You handle things so well, I usually have this sense of urgentcy about everything. Hoping you get him home soon, then you will be readily available!!Ginger

15 years 10 months ago #17268 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic helloo all--we're back!
Stephany, It sure sound like Doran was an effective advocate for himself. Calling the surgeon's office on his own to get help is a good method. I hope he is feeling less anxious now.

I hope you can stand spending the long hours at the hospital. I finally had to say that it was too hard for me physically to spend so many hours in the chairs they provide visitors. I finally had to limit my hours at the hospital. Since you are away from home I bet it makes it more difficult for everyone. Since he is up and moving it should speed up his recovery. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 10 months ago #17264 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic helloo all--we're back!
Thanks, everybody, for listening! Yes, they were able to re-section the ureter without using a piece of bowel. The extra work was hernias and adhesions. The doctor said it took him a loooong time to actually find the piece that was closed. It sounded like it sort of was like cleaning a closet in order to find one pair of shoes......you can't find what you need until everything else is out of the way ;D

I did the treadmill this morning, then stopped by to visit him. Then went to breakfast, and back to visit. Then off to shop for a bed for our son (consignment store, Goodwill, consignment, Goodwill, furniture shop, etc.) He called, in a panic, because he was having trouble breathing, and wasn't getting the help he thought he needed. He said "I need you here to be my advocate." So, I rushed back, while calling the nurses station, and telling them he was afraid he was getting a blood clot in his lungs.

By the time I got there, he had called his surgeons office, and they sent someone down, to tell him he was not blowing in his spirometer enough. But they also got him some Xanax, and when I blew in, I got him on his bi-pap, while he was in the recliner. After the Xanax kicked in, he got back to bed, and then I stuck flip-flop stickers on ninety-six plastic shot glasses, getting ready for an auxiliary brunch next week. Finally, when he felt better, I went out to shop some more for a bed.

Then supper....pho, at my favorite place. He called and wanted to know when I would be back. I came back, and he was up, out of bed, and wanting his walker, RIGHT NOW! We walked, and then he was back to bed, grumpy, wanting to know why I wasn't there more. So I sat down, picked up the newspaper, and he went back to sleep.

I'm going back to the motel now, and get another good night of sleep.

Julie, thanks for the tip...I'll remember that one.

Margot, tell Harry hello from Doran. Yes, Ginger, it finally stopped snowing, but it hasn't been warm, really, yet. There are some lilacs blooming, finally, and I walked through a cloud of gnats today, so spring must be here somewhere. The tornado was really bad to our west, but it skipped right over our town.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 10 months ago #17259 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic helloo all--we're back!
Hi Stephany - Glad to hear that all went well with surgery - even though it was a lengthy process. Did the additional work add to his projected hospital stay/recovery? Glad to hear he was resting and that you were going to sleep also. Take advantage of the hospital staff while he's there and get your rest too. There will be plenty of time for caregiving when you are back home!! :) Will look forward to your updates. Harry says to let Doran know he said hello! Prayers too. Margot

15 years 11 months ago #17240 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic helloo all--we're back!
Stephany, were they going to use a portion of the bowel to fashion a way of draining the other kidney? I sure hope they were able to do that. The nephrostomy tubes can be a kidney saver but the body doesn't like foreign objects and does it best to get rid of them. Dick hated his tubes.
I had to have my sigmoid colon removed and bowel reattached to my colon. The prep for the surgery was far better than the prep for the colonoscopy and the barium enema I had to have when they had to fluoroscope my colon. If I ever have to have an exam of my neither region I will just state that I will not use GoLightly. I hope Doran's recovery goes smoothly. julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne