help, help, new surgery needed!

16 years 5 months ago #10447 by Stephany
help, help, new surgery needed! was created by Stephany
Sorry to be so brief, but here's the deal. Doran picked up an infection a couple of weeks ago. He was put on Levaquin. He started his second round of treatments last Thursday. Sunday night, he got another fever.

We call the resident on call, who sent us to the local ER for cultures. On Tuesday, his current chemo doc had him get a vancomycin IV, because the cultures were starting to come back staph neg something-or-other.

We went down Thursday for his second chemo, and the doc said no, he is being admitted for additional tests, and IV antibiotics.

OK, I can handle that. He had an ultrasound of his kidneys, and ultrasound of his abdomen, and a radiological scan of his kidneys.

Then, he called about 20 minutes ago to tell me he is having surgery tomorrow, to "have a bag put on one of his kidneys." He knew nothing more, and, as you can imagine, was ready to quit....quit everything. I told him unless he promised me that he would hold on until tomorrow morning, I was jumping in the car, and driving down RIGHT NOW, despite having set through a seven hour meeting today and then driving two and a half hours home.

OK, so far.

Now, I just called the nurses station and demanded some answers. Turns out, the doc was just on his way into the room to talk to Doran, and explain more. I'll be calling back in about 15 minutes, if he doesn't call me.

Can anybody tell me what's going on? I assume that one of his kidneys isn't functioning the way they want, and that an outside drain will take the strain off, and that this is temporary. Have any of you heard of this happening?

I'll let you know more when I know more.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne