help, help, new surgery needed!

16 years 5 months ago #10518 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
Yes, they put him on Vancomycin for a couple of doses, then Infectious Diseases switched him to something else for two doses, and now he's back on Vanco. Nothing is growing, so it must be working.

He's got the tube in his left kidney now, and he's outputting urine, so the pressure is off the kidney, and then they can maybe figure out what the obstruction is. Or maybe they'll never know.

Anyway, when I got home, I called him, and he had just finished two cheeseburgers and a chocolate shake. I don't think he's feeling too bad. He promised he'd call if any of the residents came in, and I still hope to bring him home tomorrow.

Thanks for all your support, guys. When something like this comes up so suddenly, it's great to have a place like this to vent.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10510 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
Well fortunately, if it is MRSA, he's on vancomycin, which is the drug of choice for treating hospital acquired MRSA

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 5 months ago #10503 by dadhasbc
Replied by dadhasbc on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
Sorry to hear about the complications Stephany. My dad had ureteral tubes in place for a couple of weeks post op, so I imagine they are just placing or replacing those types of tubes to drain off the urine. Hydronephrosis is caused by the backing up of urine into the renal pelvis (part of the kidney), then the kidney swells and fluid backs up even further causing fluid around the kidney. This can be very uncomfortable, and if not treated can cause further kidney damage.

Sounds like this is the most prudent course of action, that is for sure. I hope they figure out what is going on quickly, I imagine they will scope the ureters and look for the obstruction! Wishing you the best!! andrea

16 years 5 months ago #10455 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
You may want to find out if the Staph is the MRSA variety (methacillin resistant Staphlococcus Aureus) that is being discussed in the news lately. This means it is difficult to get rid of but I think they can test the staph to see what antibiotics it will respond to. I think it is important to ask what to expect with that kind of infection.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 5 months ago #10450 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
OK, it is hydronephrosis, just like Pat thought, and it's not "surgery" per se, but a "procedure", to take the strain off the kidney (functioning at 20%), until they know what the blockage is.

And guess what he has a history of? Kidney stones. Anybody want to make up a pool of bets?

Stephany in Iowa (I'll know more tomorrow)

16 years 5 months ago #10448 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic help, help, new surgery needed!
sent you an email Stephany.....please check......Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne