Chemo before or after surgery for high-risk bladde

9 years 3 months ago #48078 by sara.anne
Anne, since the bladder lining has been "transformed" and is unstable with regard to tumor formation, and has demonstrated this either by spreading into the muscle layers or by repeated returns, chemo (which might attack current tumors) would not be effective in halting the cancer in the bladder itself.

The purpose of chemo prior to bladder removal is to destroy any micro-seeding of metastises outside the bladder. Since bladder removal is major surgery, and requires a relatively long recovery time, chemo given before bladder removal is more efficient than waiting six months or more.

Occasionally, once the bladder is removed and analyzed, it is found that there is more likely to be a spread of the cancer than was originally thought, and chemo is done after the trauma from the cystectomy has healed.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #48077 by AnneH
Wonder if anyone does the chemotherapy,and doesn't remove their bladder. I would like to know statistics on the recurrence. I know bladder removal is the gold standard treatment.

9 years 3 months ago #48076 by fighterm
I see that people from our club are getting chemo before surgery for invasive types. Glad, they get the best treatments, but sad they have to loose their bladder.

9 years 3 months ago #48066 by AnneH
Very interesting article, seems like most are not follow ing this I question why ..

9 years 3 months ago #48044 by fighterm
Chemo before or after surgery for high-risk bladder cancer improves survival, but is not routinely administered. April 14, 2014

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140414092119.htm

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne