Chemo before or after surgery for high-risk bladde

9 years 3 months ago #48087 by fighterm
My hematologist said that there were too many lymphoid masses, so they described them. when during the treatment all lympho-masses were gone, they noticed a mass in the bladder. They compared with previous scans and said that this mass did not shrink. So it has to be TCC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #48084 by AnneH
OMG! I guess that is why we need to be our own advocate. What did they say how was it overlooked? Hopefully you are getting the proper care now.

9 years 3 months ago #48083 by fighterm
No, they were not. Moreover, they missed it on previous ct scans, only on the last one in Oct they noticed it. Later they told me that it was there on previous scans. I could have had my first turb in March last year or even before that.

9 years 3 months ago #48082 by AnneH
Yes, I believe they are working diligently to found other options, not sure that we can expect this in the very near future.

I have a question several on this site and others had NHL first and later was diagnosed with bladder cancer. I did see the use of cumulative doses of cyclophosphamide and, to a lesser extent, to radiotherapy might be a cause. Were they monitoring you for bladder cancer based on the use of cyclophoshamide?

9 years 3 months ago #48080 by fighterm
I watched two webcasts about cancer stem cells ( CSC) that cause recurrence and invasion. Until we learn how to kill them we will be loosing our bladders and other organs. At NCI they have a list of organs that we can live without. Obviously, bladder is on that list. The good news is that there are agents that can kill CSCs preferentially. In one webcast they used activated natural killer cells of our immune system with chemo to successfully kill them. In the other webcast they found a bunch of chemical compounds that can kill them. The clinical tests are being conducted on animal models.

9 years 3 months ago #48079 by AnneH
Thank you Sara Anne, hopefully one day in the near future the bladder can be saved.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne