Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming

2 years 10 months ago #60818 by WiscoNewbie
Replied by WiscoNewbie on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
Thank you so much, I am always braver when I know what to expect. This helps. :) I'm ready to DO THIS. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #60817 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
Wishing for the best result possible for you!!

No, there are no side effects to the mitomycin wash after the TURB.  It is not like chemo that is injected into you.  It is done so that any cancerous cells that are exposed or dislodged by the procedure are dealt with.  Your bladder will be making enough urine to wash this out as well.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 10 months ago #60816 by WiscoNewbie
Replied by WiscoNewbie on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
Hi All, 
I am headed to the hospital for TURBT. If that goes well and bkadder is intact I will have the chemo infusion. Does that chemo part of it hurt? Will it make me chemo-sick for some time? 

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #60815 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
As Sara opined, the .8CM tumor is what is probably the reason your cytology shows some activity. The good news is you are having the 3 items to properly diagnose your situation. Cytology as an indicator is a good choice of words as opposed to a diagnostic tool. It is just a tool. The CT scan examining the torso appears to have ruled out any other and the cystoscope and TURB are the final pieces. All normal steps. The one thing I have learned is patience to get them all done. Also, until the pathology report is done you won’t have a complete picture ie. low grade or high grade. If there is any consolation your profile is very similar. A small papillary tumor that was 13 years ago. You will do fine.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WiscoNewbie

2 years 10 months ago #60814 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
Your comment about notorious false positives from urine cytology gives me some hope.  I have had everything from "atypical" to "negative for urothelial carcinoma" to "suspicious for urothelial carcinoma" within the last year.  And, my doc finds no recurrence of bladder tumors.  Now he is looking for some other source within the urinary system, e.g. kidneys, ureters, prostate.  I will know more next monday when i get my latest pathology results.

2 years 10 months ago #60813 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newly diagnosed Turbd upcoming
That is good news.  One little fact for you to hide in the back of your brain for future reference:  urine cytology is not truly diagnostic.  It is more an indicator that it would probably be a good idea to do some more studies if it comes back positive.  Urine cytology is notorious for giving false positive results, indicating that there might be cancer when there isn't.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: WiscoNewbie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne