MBIC

3 years 8 months ago #59657 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic MBIC
I will just echo Alan’s comments. I would also emphasize, as does he, that radical cystectomy is the standard of treatment for muscle invasive bladder cancer. Radiation has been used, but can lead to radiation damage which makes an eventual cystectomy problematic.

One other factor, while neobladders are often successful for males, for many women they are not and often lead either to incontinence or hypercontinence.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #59656 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic MBIC
Welcome Beloved 66,

Whew. Seems like I have read about several with the same situation and questions lately!

Chemo/radiation is not a normal protocol especially if you have a neo bladder or Indiana pouch. Radiation can damage tissues that are usually needed for the diversion chosen. Chemo/surgery is pretty common.

Perhaps the biggest piece of advice over the years that most will tell you is to pick a surgeon that has does many (25-35+) a year of what you choose. Also, you are correct, many have long lives after this kind or surgery.

Here is a great link to copy and paste about pro's and cons on the 3 basic diversions: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion
Ask away as you have other questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 8 months ago #59654 by Beloved66
MBIC was created by Beloved66
I have been diagnosed with muscle invasive bladder cancer and am in the process of deciding whether to do chemo/radiation therapy or chemo/surgery to treat my condition. Any input regarding this condition is greatly appreciated. I have already talked at length with an individual that had surgery and they have lived for 22 years afterward. I know that this is just one case of many.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne