Dad has growth but no info!?!?

16 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 10 months ago #15415 by egtmcsq
Replied by egtmcsq on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 weeks ago #15403 by newbie08
Replied by newbie08 on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?
Yes we have private health insurance (thankfully as I wouldn’t want to know how long people on National Health care would have to wait over here!!) I made more phone calls yesterday so waiting for a few replies today; hopefully I’ll get some good news!! Its so horrible just waiting, would prefer to know and get on the case of recovery, I’ve read this website from start to finish in the last few days so I probably will know more than a few of the docs now LOL ;) Thank you all so much for your replies, its so nice to know there are people out there willing to help and give advice!! Fingers crossed for us…

16 years 2 weeks ago #15397 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?
They do have to take you in an ER, but they only do emergency treatment. That would not inlcude a cystoscopy unless there was an obstruction to urine flow which couldn't be resolved by catheterization, or if catheterzation could not be accomplished. ER docs are not urologists, and a urologist would not be called except for a urological emergency. While anybody waiting for a TURB for bladder cancer may consider it emergent, it wouldn't qualify for ER treatment

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 weeks ago #15395 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?
Hi Rosie
Sorry to hear about your Dad.
I am from the UK and the first time I used this US system it was fraught with difficulties which resulted in me waiting 4 weeks for my biopsy.

Pat is a very resourceful woman whom I am sure will be able to advise.

Have you tried asking your GP to have your Dad moved up the waiting list as 'urgent'

Good luck.

16 years 2 weeks ago #15393 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?
Newbie08, I don't know if it works the same in Ireland as here in America, but I was advised to go to the emergency room if I wanted immediate treatment rather than waiting for an appointment that was 2 months off. The nurse told me "they have to take you mmediately in the emergency room." Rosie

16 years 2 weeks ago #15388 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Dad has growth but no info!?!?
Not sure where you are or how to help but here's a list of all hospitals in Ireland and contact numbers....I'm still working on it. findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/query.py?category=Hospitals&county=*&town=*&submit=FIND+ADDRESSES
Do you have any private insurance at all?
It seems a shame with Nat'l Health care countries you are kind of at their mercy and seemingly without a lot of choices when you have a dire diagnosis.
Don't panic yet....if your father cannot pee due to the blood he must go to an emergency room to be cathed.
I'll continue to seek some other answers for you...Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne