BCG Questions

11 years 5 months ago #43547 by warrentug
Replied by warrentug on topic BCG Questions
I need my wife to drive me home after because I take pain meds an hour before the BCG and it's the doctors rules, I would much rather drive myself. One thing to ask is to have them give you any prescriptions you will need a couple days ahead of time.....there is nothing worse than having to go to the pharmacy when you are full of BCG! There might be meds for "burning" feeling, for "spasms", and also antibiotics. As others have said, the first few hours after voiding are the worst but by the 2nd or 3rd day you will be back to normal. Best of luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #43543 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic BCG Questions
I have had 30 BCG treatments over the past 5 years and always went for the treatments by myself. I generally schedule them for early morning and I am able to work but at home. Other than frequency and burning, most of my other symptoms start about 6 -7 hours later. Sometimes it is a rough and tiring night but by about 36-48 hours later I am doing pretty good. I have not had a recurrence in 4 1/2 years.

Joey

11 years 5 months ago #43537 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BCG Questions
I never finished BCG because of severe reactions after a a few treatments but I always went by myself and drove myself home. I learned the hard way not to stop at the grocery store to shop on the way home!

Read this link from Dr. Lamm's website. He is the world expert with the most BCG under his belt. He gives a recommended maintenance schedule for BCG. It depends on the stage and grade and other factors but it is at least a discussion point with him doctor if his doctor is planning something different.

www.bcgoncology.com/treatment/bcgInst.html

Mike

My bladder cancer even came back and I had to get my bladder removed but that was over 4 years ago and I'm cancer free. Plan to stay that way!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 5 months ago #43535 by cheryl3625
Replied by cheryl3625 on topic BCG Questions
I am so happy to hear that you have been free four 4 years, that gives me so much more hope in this fight that is about to begin. I'm sure I'm going to say this many, many more times in the future, but thank you all for your kind words, encouragement,and advice, it is much appreciated :-)

11 years 5 months ago #43534 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Questions
No, there is no reason your husband would need anyone to accompany him for BCG treatments. Of course, it IS nice to have support for anything, even (or for me, especially, dental appointments!) I live alone and never had anyone go with me. Was also alone at home.

What to expect. He won't feel comfortable...as the two hours (as long as he is expected to "hold it") goes on he will feel more and more urgency. Some people can't hold it for the entire two hours, but the longer the better. For me the next four hours were rather miserable. I kept having to urinate...even sat on the toilet for relatively long periods since it was too much trouble to keep running back and forth. Some burning and bleeding. BUT NOTHING MAJOR. By the end of the six hours I was able to cook and eat dinner. Side effects? Yes. Of a kind that needed someone there? No. Some people have been known to go to work after treatment; I don't think I could have and don't recommend it.

I was often fatigued the next day or so. But managed to go on with daily living without any trouble.

I don't remember exactly how long the maintenance treatments went on; it seemed like forever!! By the end I was down to 1/3 the original dose. AND HAVE BEEN CANCER FREE FOR FOUR YEARS.

This is NOT a big deal, and you both can do this!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 5 months ago #43533 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic BCG Questions
Welcome Cheryl. I am sorry you have to be here.

I have not gone through BCG yet. But it is always nice to have someone with you no matter what kind of treatment you have. It doesn't have to be you it could be a family member or friend. It should be someone who can help him write down and understand what the doctor is saying.

I always have my wife with me, but if she can't go I have four children that are far smarter than I am to go with me.

One of the others will be on shortly to help you out further soon.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne