Compelling Evidence

15 years 4 months ago #23023 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Compelling Evidence
Karen, I wish there was room in our bedroom for the bed but it just isn't big enough. What was the least amount of work for me was to clear off the dining room table and move it against the window. I can use the table to put all the stuff it takes to take care of him. I have our recliner at the foot of the bed and I'm going to try and sleep in it as I'm now so used to having my head elevated.

The bed is in and Dick has been transferred. He was resting fairly comfortable after a nebulizer treatment. Then he swallowed water the wrong way and sounds very wheezy. There is room to walk on all sides of the bed and still go from the hall into the dining/living room area.

When I'm on the couch I can look out the window and see the birds that flit around my trees. Some have built nests in the palm tree. We have our radio set on the classical station. I have been playing it and then Saturday I decided to play his iPod playlist through the radio speakers so he could hear the tunes he had selected.

I'm for an early night tonight and it has been a long day. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #23016 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Compelling Evidence
Julie...I don't know how big your master bedroom is...but this may be an option...

I have a king bed...I moved it all the way in the corner so the head of the bed and one side were along the wall...I put the hospital bed along the other...by not trying to "center" the beds in the room I fit both...that way I was right next to Angelo, but I didn't have to sleep on the couch either...remember that the electic hospital beds come in pieces and they assemble them in the room so fitting it down a hallway shouldn't be an issue...

Thinking of you,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 4 months ago #23012 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Compelling Evidence
yes, Julie, that is indeed compelling evidence. And remember...I bet two can fit in the bed, if necessary!

As your sleep becomes less restful, and you deal with his restlessness, cut yourself some slack, and move a little more slowly. Get rest while and where you can, and take a minute to look out the window, maybe listen for a bird.

it does sound like he's slowing down a lot. Take time to keep talking to him. If he's still grinning, he's still with you.

Is there a classical music radio station that you can put on? Sometimes music like that helps me. Or pandora.com, for restful music.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 4 months ago #23009 by Lady Jane
Replied by Lady Jane on topic Compelling Evidence
Julie
I am so sorry to read this. I think the hospital bed would be a good idea. We had one for my father ( major stroke at 60 yrs old) and it was very helpful. Mom could rest knowing he would not fall out of bed and it did help when we transferred him and such, (elevating the bed, etc).

Sending you a big hug for support.

Ta Grade 1
6 TURBS
15 BCG
dx Jan 07

15 years 4 months ago #23007 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Compelling Evidence
Good Morning julie. I am sitting here crying from reading your posts. I am so sad for you both, and on a purely selfish level, it's like looking into our future & I am terrified of it. You have handled everything with such grace & love- I admire you so much. Try to look after yourself as well. Best Regards, Lorrie

15 years 4 months ago #23006 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Compelling Evidence
Julie,

It does sound like the time has come for that bed.

I have a quilt, a sheet, a special hot pad my daughters bought for me and then my cover that I roll up every day and bring it all out at bedtime. So far I am making it fine and have been doing this since Sept.

You and Dick are always in my prayers.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne