New to site. Let me introduce myself

15 years 6 months ago #21778 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
HI Sonj - Welcome. My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer last year and had surgery at Stanford Hospital in CA on 10/1/07. He now has a neo-bladder. I can definitely relate to your feelings...it was a roller coaster of emotions but this site and friends I have made here have made it bearable. You will find a lot of very suppportive folks here. Harry had chemo (Gemzar/Cisplatin)after the surgery which was another roller coaster ride, but we made it through that too. Harry had retired from his career of 30 years and was working seasonally when he was diagnosed so he was able to recover during his off-season and started back to work in March after the chemo was completed in February. He has regained is strength and is doing well. He sees his oncologist once a month for blood work and his surgeon @ Stanford and local uro every three months for follow-up. You are right that God never gives us more than we can handle and the power of prayer is comforting and uplifting. Please know that you, your husband and kids will be in my prayers for a successful surgery and thorough recovery; for strength, comfort and peace as you go through this. As you have questions, please feel free to post them, there are a lot of knowledgable people here. You can also email me through the site if you'd like. Margot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21766 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
Hi Sonj......no i did not have to have follow up chemo as all nodes were clean and i had no squamous cell differentation... I did follow up with an oncologist who routinely did blood work and checked my Bl2 levels. I still see him now once a year.
I opted for an Indiana Pouch being female and i've been very happy with it. If i would have been a male i definately would have gone for the neobladder.
I can understand your worry...i'm not sure if your husband has transitional cell carcinoma along with some squamous cells?...I'm just a little confused on the diagnosis. Is there a reason they decided to do the chemo after the surgery rather than pre-op? Please know i'm not questioning the decision..i have complete faith in this institution. They are the #2 Urology Hosp in the US...i would just like to know how they are thinking? Are you seeing an oncologist now?
I have a friend who was actually my mentor and is on the board here and she had her surgery over 8 yrs ago ..was high grade...and had MVAC after surgery. It apparently did the job it was supposed to.
Pat

15 years 6 months ago #21764 by psee4me
Replied by psee4me on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
Lorrie & Clara
Thanks for the kind words:)
~Sonj

15 years 6 months ago #21763 by psee4me
Replied by psee4me on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
Pat, Thank you for all the info. When he was dx he was going to a Urologist not at CCF and I went on line and found that same link you posted and we have been very happy with him. Hubby will have to go thru MVAC chemotherapy after his surgery. His pathology rpt came back with squamous & sarcomatoid differentiation cells which they told us are cells that do not "behave" like normal blc cells...which makes them nervous that it might (if it hasn't already) spread. They keep telling us he is young and healthy enough to handle this chemo, but it still makes me nervous. You said you were muscle invasive and had your surgery 5 3/4yrs ago at the same place...did you have neobladder too? Did you see Oncol from there? Thanks again, Sonj

15 years 6 months ago #21756 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
All of these feelings are natural for anyone with a heart....I really feel for you having so much at one time.

Prayers are with you and your family.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 6 months ago #21751 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic New to site. Let me introduce myself
Welcome!
Yes, we have all been through it & continue to go through it. This is a wonderful place went you want answers & also when you just need to vent. No one judges & everyone wants to help. We are all at different stages in dealing with this cursed disease, so ask anything you want to know- someone will jump in with the correct information.
Keep breathing & keep you chin up.
Best Regards, Lorrie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne