Checking In.....How are all of you?

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20377 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Hello again jerseygirl.
Thanks for replying to the caregivers forum, we are like you trying to get what didn't get done last year done this year, you inspire me as I don't have 10 acres and all the work that goes with it. So when I go ou to cut the lawn for Gene to give him a break I will think of you, our little half acre.
It sure helps to listen to others and say what we feel as caregivers.
Take care of you.........
Ginger
The topic has been locked.
15 years 8 months ago #20373 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Cynthia, It is a great service for Vets you described. However Dick is not a vet his vision was too poor to be accepted into the service and he sure tried. I will first contact the County Council on Aging as I hope they can link us to similar resources.

I met with the Nutritionist at the Cancer Center again today and came up with a plan for Dick to get better nutrition. He needs to get at least 80 grams of protein a day. We are hoping this improves the blood vessels so they don't leak fluid so much and reduce the edema. If the best he can manage is fluids I now have some samples of protein powder that dissolves well to mix in. I also found Kefir at Trader Joes today. Kefir is a yogurt drink and has 18 grams of protein in a serving and Dick said he wanted some. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC
15 years 8 months ago #20371 by jerrysgirl
Replied by jerrysgirl on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
We're gearing up for school starting back (Thurs for Jerry, Mon for me). Health wise, right now, Jerry is doing pretty good. His last tests all showed all clear, almost time now for another set. His energy level seems to slowly be increasing. But his memory sure doesn't. He still seems to need help to remember all the meds/appts/details, and that is frustrating for him. And for me when he does something like drive past the gas station on the corner, only to then run out of gas a mile from the next one...and since he's not strong enough to walk that far in 104 temp that leaves me walking it. We're in the country and that part of the road has no cell phone signal...and no houses. Yippee!
Jerry was diagnosed at the end of school last year, and last summer was filled with surgeries and the start of chemo. With everything going on this last school year was like a blur. This summer has been spent trying to catch up on everything around here that needed to be done (we've got a 10 acre farm). With my commute I'm gone 60 hours a week, and I am soooo not ready for that to kick back in next week. I still have too much to do, and am already too tired to get it all done. I am also helping my mom with things around the house (my dad passed 2 summers ago). I know I never thought I'd be dealing with all of this at 41. But, I know we'll get through this.
Lorrie, I feel so deeply for what you're going through. I know how hard it is to open up and let it out, and I am so glad you feel safe enough here to do that. It helps all of us (who are so often keeping it all in) to realize that we are not the only ones in this boat. Reading what you said helped me so much tonight. That's what's so wonderful about this site! It seems that just the moments that I'm sitting here feeling too overwhelmed to go on I find the strength I need from you guys!
I've wiped away the tears for tonight. And am off to finish the plans for our 3rd anniversary Thursday...and more laundry...and cleaning up from the painting I was doing earlier...and somewhere in that I'll find time to sleep. Just another day in the life of a caregiver. lol
Thank you to all of you on here...you're my inspiration, my motivation, my strength...you are the best! Know you're all in my prayers!
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20370 by jerrysgirl
Replied by jerrysgirl on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
We're gearing up for school starting back (Thurs for Jerry, Mon for me). Health wise, right now, Jerry is doing pretty good. His last tests all showed all clear, almost time now for another set. His energy level seems to slowly be increasing. But his memory sure doesn't. He still seems to need help to remember all the meds/appts/details, and that is frustrating for him. And for me when he does something like drive past the gas station on the corner, only to then run out of gas a mile from the next one...and since he's not strong enough to walk that far in 104 temp that leaves me walking it. We're in the country and that part of the road has no cell phone signal...and no houses. Yippee!
Jerry was diagnosed at the end of school last year, and last summer was filled with surgeries and the start of chemo. With everything going on this last school year was like a blur. This summer has been spent trying to catch up on everything around here that needed to be done (we've got a 10 acre farm). With my commute I'm gone 60 hours a week, and I am soooo not ready for that to kick back in next week. I still have too much to do, and am already too tired to get it all done. I am also helping my mom with things around the house (my dad passed 2 summers ago). I know I never thought I'd be dealing with all of this at 41. But, I know we'll get through this.
Lorrie, I feel so deeply for what you're going through. The smell, the laundry, all of it...it's gotten to me sooo much tonight. I know how hard it is to open up and let it out, and I am so glad you feel safe enough here to do that. It helps all of us (who are so often keeping it all in) to realize that we are not the only ones in this boat. Reading what you said helped me so much tonight. That's what's so wonderful about this site! It seems that just the moments that I'm sitting here feeling too overwhelmed to go on I find the strength I need from you guys!
I've wiped away the tears for tonight. And am off to finish the plans for our 3rd anniversary Thursday...and more laundry...and cleaning up from the painting I was doing earlier...and somewhere in that I'll find time to sleep. Just another day in the life of a caregiver. lol
Thank you to all of you on here...you're my inspiration, my motivation, my strength...you are the best! Know you're all in my prayers!
15 years 8 months ago #20352 by banditswife
Replied by banditswife on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Many of you are doing it really tough. I often cry reading your posts, but always leave knowing that Rick and I have been so lucky to have had mostly "smooth sailing" since his RC (ileal conduit, external bag) in July 2006. He often has leaks or "bursts" a bag, which upsets him a lot, but overall he copes ok (emotionally) with it all. He had a bowel obstruction recently which caused some trauma and fear, before clearing itself, but all his latest tests have come back clear. They have no idea what caused the obstruction but if he has any similar pain again he is to go straight to the surgeon. So things for us are going pretty well at the moment.
Love to you all. Wendy
15 years 8 months ago #20350 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Julie,

I do not know if Dick is a military vet but if he is contact them about the wheel chair and the van. When my father got to that point they came in free of charge did a lift on the back steps to get him in and did a conversion so he could get in and out of the auto with it and supplied the motorized scooter. I was amazed by how fast they did it and how nice it was if Dick is a vet I imagine they would do it for a motorized wheel chair as well it could be worth checking into.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne