Checking In.....How are all of you?

15 years 8 months ago #20749 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
I've used peroxide on almost everything, and never had a color problem. ( I have a VERY scared little old dog, and sometimes she acts out).

good luck on the stuff...let us know how it works.

And vinegar really does help.

Stephany in Iowa
The topic has been locked.
15 years 8 months ago #20733 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Good Morning everyone- wow what great suggestions! I'll remember the sink Stephany if Bob has a catheter again- great idea.

Jerseygirl- I hear ya- my kids assured me that it's not as bad as I think- I agree, it seems to be stuck in my nose.

I found a commercial product that is helping a lot. It's called a liquid odour counteractant & has a citrus scent. I put 4 0z. in with the laundry detergent. It's made here in Ont. Canada. If anyone is interested, I have the mfg. info.- they may ship elswhere. I would be glad to send a sample to anyone who wishes.

Peroxide? now that's something I've never considered. Does the colour not come out? isn't it like bleach? or am I confused.

Vinegar- duh! I can't believe I didn't think of that one- I use it constantly but never thought of odour fighting- just goes to show ya' that you are never too old to learn something new.

Thanks again everyone- I'm going to go put some of these great ideas to use
Lorrie:P
15 years 8 months ago #20732 by Stephany
Alright....just one more. I was brushing my teeth when I remembered one more thing we do to help with the odors.

You know those plastic containers that they sell for ketchup? I buy those (in clear plastic, not red or yellow), and fill them half and half with water and white vinegar. Then every time I need to rinse the sink, I use that. I works wonders there, too.

OK, I gotta 'fess up now, guys. Gross spoiler coming up. Don't read any further unless you got your caregiver gross filter on:

I talked him into peeing into the sink instead of the toilet.

I confess, it was MY idea, and he fought it. But, darn it, it works much better, with the catheter, and after he got used to it, he never went back. The sink is the perfect height, and there's no dribbling, and he has something to lean against while he caths, and he can rinse right away, and check for mucus, etc. Then he follows it with a vinegar rinse. And he only uses certain sinks in the house.

So, if you're still with me by now, I want to apologize if I've offended anyone. I'd be interested to know if this particular adaption is practiced by any other BC survivor.

Going to bed now. Really.

Stephany in Iowa
15 years 8 months ago #20730 by Stephany
OK, I just had to look for some of these products. I especially like the "weecleaner" name. Most of them have guarantees, too.

www.cat-odors.com/

www.maryellenproducts.com/atmosklear

www.sea-yu.com/products.html

www.odorxit.com/

www.weecleaner.com/

Please, anyone who tries these, let us know if they work.

Stephany in Iowa
15 years 8 months ago #20729 by Stephany
You can also put the vinegar in the washer with the soap, etc. We use this for cat urine smell, and it does wonders! (don't even ask...we don't own a cat)

The de-smeller we use is Fresh Wave (freshwave.com/). I found it in a newspaper article. We began using it in my husband's office at my suggestion. We have a lot of Amish patients, and they do NOT wash often.

My office manager thought it wasn't doing any good until she ran out. Then we reordered. It's a gel that gradually evaporates. You just put in in any open container in the room, and it seems to absorb the odor. I put it in all our bathrooms now, and the kitchen.

You might also try activated charcoal. That's what I keep in my pan cupboards, to get rid of the stale oil odors.

You also might try using baking soda in the wash. I watched a tv show last week that proved that baking soda actually DOES absorb odor in refrigerators.

let us know if the vinegar helps. We had some loads we did twice, but the only thing it didn't help was a leather jacket.

Have you tried Borax?

Stephany in Iowa
15 years 8 months ago #20727 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Checking In.....How are all of you?
Try white vinegar (not white wine...plain white vinegar)...put it in the fabric softner side or in a downy ball...if that doesn't work (and it should) try pine-sol, or mean green which you can get at the dollar store...I still swear by the white vinegar though...it makes your clothes really white too...;)

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne