ABLCS Loses A Team Member

12 years 3 months ago #40910 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic ABLCS Loses A Team Member
Thank you all for caring. To tell you the truth this was not something I was going to share with the community. It is not that I didn’t think you would care but that I felt that it was wrong that I should be broken hearted and crying my eyes out over a little dog when so many of you are dealing with so much worse.

Then it occurred to me that I would react that same way if I had lost my best friend and I had. When I got bladder cancer Sam was the only one who did not treat me differently. He made me laugh when I had nothing to laugh about. He cuddled me when I was scared and taking care of him gave me a reason to get up when I didn’t want to. When I was the sickest from the chemo he had to be bodily taken from my side to eat and go out because he didn’t want to leave me unguarded and as little as he was that was what he was doing. I can remember many times dozing and waking up to find him on the pillow next to me staring at me unblinkingly watching over me. It will never cease to amaze me that such a little being could take up such a big space in my life. He was a prime example that not all caregivers have opposable thumbs.

On Saturday I wrote the moderators and asked them to cover for me this weekend and I took a day off something I never do. It was hard for me to come into the office this morning because for fifteen years I have not gone to my office without him running ahead of me looking back over his shoulder telling me to hurry up.

I am glad Ed wrote about Sam telling you what happened because this forum is a family and families share their good times and bad. This site is about living life while dealing with cancer and this is a part of life. Today my world goes on and things will return to normal but I will always miss my little boss.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #40909 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic ABLCS Loses A Team Member
Cynthia... It's even hard to find adequate words to say how much my heart aches for you. I have been such a dog lover since I was a little girl and I know that pain all too well. Please know you, Eddie, and little Sam are in the warmest thoughts of many here.

Eddie... your post was so beautifully written. A very fitting tribute to an extraordinary and brave lady and her loyal little "boss".

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 3 months ago #40908 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic ABLCS Loses A Team Member
Dear Cynthia
I am so sorry for you loss. We just went through it in October and I still cry when I talk about her. They are the best friends in the world. May God Bless Sam.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

12 years 3 months ago #40907 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic ABLCS Loses A Team Member
Cyn:

Sometimes its the smallest members of our family that are the most loyal. It breaks my heart to hear about your loss. Your family is smaller now, but so much more the richer for having known Sam. :(

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 3 months ago #40906 by SailorMan
Replied by SailorMan on topic ABLCS Loses A Team Member
My condolences on your loss.
We still miss the late Tiffany and I can't bring myself to take down her facebook page

12 years 3 months ago #40904 by eddiek
ABLCS Loses A Team Member was created by eddiek
On Saturday, 28 January 2012, at a little after 1:30 p.m. (ET), we lost a valued member of our support team; Cynthia’s beloved Yorkshire Terrier Sam. The story begins almost 15 years ago when Sam and Cynthia first met; they bonded instantly and have been a team ever since.

Sam was about seven pounds of attitude and was the “boss”. From the time of Cynthia’s bladder cancer diagnosis in August of 2004, Sam was an important member of her support team. Who else would listen whenever Cynthia needed to talk? Who was her almost constant home companion during her treatments in late 2004 and early 2005? Who would keep her company on the couch when she was weak from the chemotherapy treatments? The answer was always Sam.

Throughout the years, there were several health issues with Sam, but together with Cynthia and his veterinarian, we were able to keep him going. During the past several years, Sam started to slow down, he had arthritis, a liver condition, and no teeth, but he was always there for Cynthia. All she had to say was “to the office” and Sam would trot down the hall with Amelia the poodle to Cynthia’s home office.

But all that started to end earlier this week when Sam just wasn’t right. The veterinarian ran some tests, but there wasn’t anything specific; just the effects of time and age. Sam didn’t have a good night on Friday and Saturday began with a call to the veterinarian. By early afternoon, Sam was taking what would be his last trip to the veterinarian. As Cynthia held him in her arms wrapped in his favorite blanket, we parked the car with the sun shining through the windshield.

I went into the veterinarian’s office and when they were ready, Cynthia brought Sam into the office. The veterinarian examined Sam, but there was nothing to be done except humanely ease his pain. So with Cynthia and I holding him, he drifted off to sleep.

Sam was loved and will be greatly missed. He received great care from Cynthia and his two veterinarians at the Berkshire Veterinary Hospital. So if you send Cynthia an e-mail or call on the phone and you don’t hear back right away, she’s a little short handed at the moment with the “boss” gone from the home office.

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne