How to relax

12 years 4 months ago #40478 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic How to relax
Hi Annie... I know exactly what you mean about not being able to get the "C" word out of your mind. I was not able to think of much else for several months, but eventually, I adjusted to the fact I had BC, but it is now out of my body. I like to remember Mike's advice that I am cancer free until someone tells me differently! There is no reason not to plan your future as you would have before this happened.

I see you have updated your siggy line to your dx of T1NOMO. Did you get a copy of your path report, and if so, what type of tumor did it say yours was?

If I recall correctly, you had your TURBT just before Thanksgiving. I don't remember your mentioning a second surgery in your prior post (which doesn't mean you didn't but my memory is sketchy at best). Is the upcoming one for a second opinion and dx confirmation? If so, is someone else doing it?

So sorry the surgery center is making you feel like a bother. They sometimes tend to be very clinical and I suppose they have to be. My TURBT was early, and when she called the day before and said to be at the hospital at 5:30, I blurted out before I could catch myself "In the morning???" since I'm not a morning person.

As Cynthia suggested, you might ask your primary doc for a low-dose anti-anxiety med for those nights when you just can't stop the madness in your head. You do need your sleep and try not to let BC take that away from you.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 4 months ago #40474 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic How to relax
Annie, Take a big breath, I know it is difficult but the truth is you have never changed a thing by worrying about it.

1. Worrying about catching fire while in surgery is like worrying about being hit by a falling star it could happen but the odds are against you. It is kind of like flying once the door closes to the plane you are in their hands. You either trust them to do the best they know how or you don't, but trust is a big part of this.

2. Be happy that you are on at one in the afternoon the do the big surgeries in the morning generally. I have had to wait as long as seven in the evening for surgery while I was not happy it is the luck of the draw and you will make it. If you feel your blood sugar is getting low tell them and sometimes they will let you suck on ice, ask.

3. Talk to your health care provider to give you something to sleep or something for anti anxiety to get you through the surgery. In the right dose it can't hurt and it sounds like you need something to take the edge off until you know what you are dealing with.

4. You should not have a lot of pain with a reTURB I am the queen of them and the worst part for me was having the IV put in and some discomfort while urinating for a while after. If you are worried ask you doctor for something for pain.

5. Find ways to keep yourself busy and your mind off of this as much as you can as I said earlier sitting around worrying does not change a thing. Take a walk, have coffee with a friend or volunteer at the food bank.

6. Be kind to yourself take a long hot bath,read that book you have been wanting to,do things that make you happy.

7. Remind yourself that your friends here at this community have been where you are and made it through time and again. That should help you know that it is doable and is done.

Good luck and hang in there

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #40470 by annie
How to relax was created by annie
Being bombarded with information about BC has made it exceedingly difficult for me to relax...Anxious about the future, wondering if I can handle the pain, worried about catching fire during my next surgery (it really happened recently to a woman, her face caught on fire!) It really is unnerving at night because I know how important sleep is and that seems to be my brains' optimal time to stress out. I am generally a cheerful person but this past week has been very difficult. The Dr.'s office was supposed to call with surgery date and related info and they didn't call, so I called them and it felt like I was annoying them. Surgery time was set for 1pm and I didn't think I could last that long without water or food (instructions are not to eat or drink from midnight the previous night) so I called with my worries. They basically said tough luck you'll have to do it and they said the day surgery office would contact me...which they haven't. My mom always said that I was a worry wart and I know there is a line between being a well adjusted self advocate and being a pain in the ass...Any tips or Rx information will be helpful.
thanks
Annie

p.s. I don't know why this posted three times!

T1
N0
M0

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne