Indiana pouch leakage options--question

13 years 1 month ago #36681 by 1jungroth
Replied by 1jungroth on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Hi, Cynthia.
Actually, I don't recall seeing any pop-up, but it's no real issue. I did a check on my profile and could see THERE that I had made one post--but then I cold not find the post. At any rate, it's all visible now, and that's what counts,

Thanks so much for all the advice. I've been lurking around this site and a couple of others since my surgery. Almost no one around me knows I even had this surgery done--(3 people, to be exact--not counting medical personnel involved, of course)--I did not want (and still do not want) the constant questions, the looks, etc. Most people know I had female surgery--they just don't know I had a couple of extra items removed and a couple new ones "sewn in."

So my point is that I've learned a lot by lurking here and elsewhere and faintly decided to register so I could actually talk to some people.

I chuckled at your list of possible causes of pouchitis. Chocolate, if I'm not trying to lose a couple of pounds, is always high on my list of favorites. And caffeine--I ad gone completely decaf with my coffee a couple of years ago. Once my cancer was diagnosed, I even stopped decaf coffee and went with Pero coffee substitute, along with other changes meant to make my urine more alkaline. Now, of course, with the Indiana, I'm told that more acidic urine is better, so I'm back with the regular coffee--limited use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #36680 by 1jungroth
Replied by 1jungroth on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Piggy-back anytime! :)

I went through a period when I faced that Sahara in the evening. I started chewing extremely citrus-y gum in the evenings, and after awhile, the thirst seemed to abate quite a bit, especially if I had enough fluid during the day.

I completely sympathize with the night-time bedclothes and nightgown changes--that's the first thing that made me start using a stick-on urostomy bag at night. I still had to get up and cath, but at least the leakage I experienced was contained within that little bag and did not drench me. At this point, I feel comfortable sleeping six hours with that bag in place, and in the morning, it's got about 50 cc or so in it--the rest I drain out. So I figure okay--that's 50cc in the bag and then about 250-300 drained with the cath--a capacity of about 300 max before leaking starts.

Maybe this will get better; everyone here says that a 7-month old pouch is still "new." And I'm totally grateful that I found the little pouches and can use them rather than get drenched. It just would be nice NOT to have to go to that extreme since it halfway defeats the purpose of a continent reservoir operation.

My surgeon said a foley COULD be used on a short-term basis, so I considered a foley--but they are so large if you get one that has a lumen size to handle the mucus, and there is debate on whether or not they contribute to infection if used for very long, though I had one for three months prior to my surgery (not the same catheter, though--there were changes due to biopsies, and then I had BCG and went on intermittent cath for awhile). I think also that the balloon that anchors a foley cannot possibly be good to have resting on the pouch/stoma inner connection. The other thing about trying a catheter is that wouldn't it likely leak around that tube, too? And with almost any stoma location, I can't see managing a connection to a collecting bag--especially if it were used anytime other than at night.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #36679 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Continence and urodynamic perimeters of the various pouches

tinyurl.com/4bh4kry

pat

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #36678 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
First off you should have gotten a popup when you posted telling you that your post would appear once a moderator had approved it. We have had to implement this policy due to the fact that we have gotten so many spammers. It is only for your first post and after that you should be able to post instantly. Could you please clink in the main menu on Contact us and let us know what you saw when you posted the first time please?

Many things can be going on if you have leakage. For some the answer has been multi layered. Check any of our suggestion out with your doctor as we do not know of any of your conditions that may be counter indicative to what worked for us.

Try going back to the beginning with training. Buy a few cheap alarm clocks and set them for every hour and a half for the first week. Then go to two for week two and three for week three and four for week four. Watch what you drink at night I used to always drink a cup of tea before bed in my favorite LARGE mug, not a good idea as we produce more urine at night to begin with. Drink when you are thirsty in the evening but do not push fluids. Follow the same daytime schedule's you are at night.

I was told that the Indiana pouch should not hold over 400cc and never over 500cc Pat's Urologist told her more but mine would have a heart attack if I stretched mine to that extent. Talk to your Urologist about what he feels should be your top capacity.

You may also have what is I call Pouchitis. That is when the pouch become irritated, this can happen for a variety of reasons and in some cases is only the trigger for that person. Some reasons for Pouchitis can be....

Infection

Food or food additives

Caffeine

Chocolate

Medications

Anything could adversely affect or stimulate your intestines

Some people have found that keeping a food diary helps. Some have had to go back to a very basic diet and add things one at a time to see what is the problem.

I use a product for leaks that was developed for incontinence in males. They are made by Tena and are called male guards. I am able to put them in the front of my undies as my stoma is in my naval you might need to tape them in place but they are very good at catching the rush that can happen.

Once you have Pouchitis it can take a while for it to settle down so it can take some patience.

Hope this helps please keep us updated

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 1 month ago #36677 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
OK.thats what i thought. Listen to the doctor. The nurses are over zealous. Try drinking only when you're thirsty. if you are getting 300cc's at 2 hrs thats about a right capacity for 7 months and your bladder should be emptied. But i get that at 4 to 5 hrs. I'm over 8 yrs out with an Indiana. I have a navel stoma. If your stoma is lower you can try a thin maxi-pad stuck to your underwear..perhaps Spanx type pants that stay in place. I know some who do this.
Being thirsty in the evening is pretty common and i also did the same thing and had to get up at 4 hrs to cath for about 8 months but the thirst began to subside after that. I do keep a glass of water by the bed and take sips if i get thirsty but it really doesn't happen anymore.
There are some tricks to dislodge mucus..one is to cough when the cath is in...another is to move the cath around gently back and forth to find the little pockets it seems to hid in. I don't have to do this all the time but certain foods will produce more mucus even now for me...dairy is my culprit. Yours might be something else. It takes a while for the pouch to accept that it is now a bladder so whatever upsets your bowels you can be sure your new bladder will also react. It will come around however. I've actually found muscles in my abdomen which i can contract to push more out but that might work more with the navel stoma?
The doc is right in his advise.
pat

13 years 1 month ago #36675 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
OK, I'm with 1jungroth, its been about 8 months post-op and I am having recent MAJOR leaking at night and am getting up every 1.5 to 2 hours and I'm soaked!! What am I doing wrong? I try to watch what I'm drinking, but like Pavlovs dog, once I get to the time in the evening when I should be cutting back on fluids, I feel like I just ran a marathon thru the Sahara!! The last three nights have been multiple nightgown changes and pad changes (I use a depends style pad just in case....) I am also irrigating at night and getting at least the same amount out that I put in soI'm not sure whats going on. My output during the day is also down with leaking between.

I had my surgery in Grand Rapids MI and am really happy with everything as a whole, but getting thru the night would be a Godsend.

I know that the Experts out there can come up with a solution. Everyone has heros they look up to, mine are here (except for my mom). I hope I can help someone someday, like the people here have helped me. Thank YOU!!!!

Thanks 1jungroth, for letting me piggy back on your post.

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne