Indiana pouch leakage options--question

13 years 3 weeks ago #36788 by mamatrausch
Replied by mamatrausch on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Hi
Sorry the pads are called Tena MEN guards. I also have used crib pads for my bed at night. I am currently using a $5.00 oil cloth table cloth from walmart. It fits great under my mattress pad and protects the whole bed. No shifting around and it lets me sleep anywhere on our king bed. Put the flannel side down on matress and plastic side up. Like I said we are traveling and I bring this tablecloth along. I also am so grateful for this site it has helped me get through so much. Lots of smart people on here with lots of great ideas.
Julie

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago #36787 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Thanks Patricia! I never thought I'd have these issues, but it sure beats cancer by a mile. I did have OJ this morning (LOVE the stuff) so we'll see what happens tonight.

FYI - for nighttime I have a couple of pads that you'd use for a childs bed when they are potty training. It keeps my bedding clean and I can easily change it if I have a leak and not wake my husband. Also use a tena pad stuck to a folded hand towel across my stoma to catch leaks(tucked in underwear). (daytime is a nursing pad and micropore tape)

It's amazing how inventive you have to be to outsmart Ms. Leaky :P

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

13 years 3 weeks ago #36785 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Good for you Linda..i always tell people to make a list of what they're eating or drinking and see if it coincides with pouch irritation and its different with everyone it seems. Mine would spit with dairy..especially ice cream....made lots of mucus...but over time it does get used to it if added in small amounts. I can't drink orange juice at all either to this day.
pat

13 years 3 weeks ago #36783 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
hi Sandie! Been thinking about you and glad to hear that you're on the mend.

My leaking is getting better. I've done some "experimenting" and found that I may have a Indiana pouch sensitivity to citrus and carbonation (orange juice and soda). So I've cut out both and what do you know, back to 2 1/2 to 3 hours between bathroom breaks! And if I drink water with dinner and cut out liquids by 8pm I have a much better night. (Went last night for 5 HOURS!!!! Yippee!) So the "experiment" goes on...

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

13 years 3 weeks ago #36780 by 1jungroth
Replied by 1jungroth on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
Amazing! Just goes to show how much difference there is among surgeons.

My in-pouch foley was removed on day five after surgery; I went home on day 6 with a malecot tube connected to a bag (interestingly, this never leaked or plugged up). On day 17, after an IVP, the malecot tube was removed and I had cath training in the office. Started right then on the "training schedule."

13 years 3 weeks ago #36779 by sandie
Replied by sandie on topic Indiana pouch leakage options--question
I am 3 weeks and 2 days out from surgery and doing surprisingly well. The nausea and bowel issues seem to have calmed down so I can eat (hooray). I'm walking around, doing some light physical therapy exercises. I've had a lot of household help and support. The pouch is draining into a bag through the cecotomy tube and the stoma in my navel has a foley (I think) which is capped. Four times this week the cecotomy tube has plugged with mucus and the urine started leaking out the stoma. But it hasn't happened in 3 days now. But I'm going to pick up some of those Tena night guard pads!! What a great forum....so helpful to people like me who need to know what to expect and how to deal with things. March 14 is my next appt when, if all looks well, I may start cathing. I am enjoying my sleep now while I can!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne