Sitting on the toilet to drain an Indiana Pouch

13 years 7 months ago #33797 by Patricia
I rarely even use a restroom anymore...and if i do have to use one i find a Starbucks which is exceptionally clean and only one person can go in at a time. And seriously i could care less if someone is so curious as to why my feet are facing the wrong way...i just tell them i'm undergoing a sex change!
:lol: pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #33794 by Melodie
Mike,

You are a jewel of a man! ...meaning you are a treasure for those who know you. :) You ought to have an engineering degree...maybe you do; reminds me of a friend who is an engineer and always thinking of improvements. I appreciate your concern for those who find themselves so embarrassed. I think some of that thought process is a personality thing, but I think that many women and men over 50 really don't give a hoot either about what others think. Most people are too wrapped up with their own problems or issues to give much thought to mine.

The only time I get concerned is when there is a little boy in the next stall and his mom is telling him to NOT look under the stall at the next person. I don't want to confuse a little guy who is barely toilet trained.

When I used to pee normally, I would be in and out of the bathroom in 2 minutes...don't think I ever even realized how dirty it sometimes could be, until I had to stand and look at the toilet. Now realizing how ucky things can be, even in the women's restroom, I've decided one is best off standing. Standing seems to better empty the tank. Also, I don't stand at the toilet when at home as I now understand why guys sometimes make the mess they do...so I use a container at home to prevent splast back and pour out the contents which allows me to keep tabs on volume.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33793 by mmc
I'm not surprised about different takes on things even though you're women. :) While there are certainly a number of common things about men in general and women in general, all are individuals. All women are different and all men are different (even if women don't think so :) ).

I imagine a lot of women feel the same way about this as you do but I did see where it seemed to be a pretty big issue to some others as well.

I even asked my wife what she thought before I posted the idea. She never had bladder cancer so her opinion was anything that meant she didn't have to sit or hover over toilet in a public restroom would be her first choice. When I told her this meant that the woman wouldn't even need to pull her pants down, then she thought that was a good idea.

They even sell these little things let women stand and pee. No, she doesn't have one but she thought it wasn't such a bad idea.

My idea was just for those who do feel embarassed by the situation.

I even used to sit to cath when I went to a public restroom so people wouldn't think I was weird going into the stall to stand and pee. I decided after a month or so that I didn't give a hoot what people thought so I just go in there and face the toilet and cath now.

I do ball up the catheter afterwards though and try to be discreet about washing it or I wait to hear others leaving the restroom before I go out to wash the catheter. This is only in client restrooms though. My main reason for that is to not embarass the employees at my client work locations. I don't care at airports so I just walk out and wash it up in the sink without a care (unless it touches the side of the sink--in which case I throw it away).

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33792 by Cynthia
This is always an interesting subject. I personally never give a thought to cathing in a public restroom. Added to the fact that they bacteria count being what it is in public restrooms I like the fact I can cath without having to touch more than I do. I simply wash my hands go in close the door, use antibacterial and cath using my purse as a clean area for equipment. Womans toilets unlike males do not contain urinals and I feel that is someone is looking under the door long enough to have questions about what I am doing they have a bigger problems than I do standing up to urinate. I imagine that is a personality thing as I could really care less what others think of me or what I do to start with.

I can cath sitting down I have done it often enough using an 18in catheter if I am careful. The larger issue for me is the fact I do not get as good of an empty when I sit so I try not to do it others than a have to case and then I move up my next cath.

It is interesting that even though we are woman we have different takes on things.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33788 by mmc
It was mentioned previously about the embarrassment that some women face in public restrooms when having to stand and face the toilet to drain an Indiana Pouch.

I've been thinking about this and came up with what I think may be a poptential solution to the problem.

It basically involves connecting a piece of catheter extension tubing to the end of a red rubber catheter.

By inserting the extension hose into the funnel end of the catheter, there is sufficient length to be able to sit on the toilet and catheterize while having the extension hose go between your legs into the toilet.

They sell different lengths of extension hose but they also sell rolls of the tubing and connectors separately so you could cut the hose to the exact size you need.

I have extension hoses and red rubber catheters so I tried out the connection and it fits perfectly.

I have a neobladder myself so I couldn't actually try catheterizing while sitting on the toilet with this extension.

However, for testing out the idea, I sat on the toilet and pretended to cath at my navel while running the extension hose between my legs. Since the hose is too long, I just laid it across my thigh and then down. I also put my legs together some to hold the hose but I wouldn't need to if the hose was cut shorter. So, my little test worked but I'd suggest cutting the hose to the length so you don't have to worry about that while both hands are busy doing the cathing.

For women, I can empathize that standing in a stall could cause some looks by others and embarassment so that's why I came up with this idea.

You might not even need to pull your pants down to sit on the toilet to do this...
Hopefully, somebody will find this helpful.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne