Forum

× Welcome click the New Topic button to post

Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC

6 years 6 months ago #43816 by Melle
I am happy he is doing well. So that is a positive outcome at least. What type of diversion did he choose? I am weighing the options, but I don't think I am a candidate for neobladder surgery. Guess I need to concentrate on one step at a time. I have had sensory overload this week!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #43815 by jimswife
Jim did not have chemo prior to his rc but after. We just saw his oncologist Friday and had this discussion. 2 1/2 yrs out Jim is dong well and cancer free until proven otherwise. The standard is chemo pre surgery. If you have any doubts a second opinion is always best. I wish you well in your journey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #43814 by Melle
I am in Florida, all the major hospitals with surgeons specializing in RC are about a three hour drive. Which is okay, I'll make the drive, but I am concerned I won't be able to get an appointment any time soon with one of them and I would like a second opinion before I start chemo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #43813 by sara.anne
My impression is that this is the usual protocol...chemo and then RC in cases such as yours. I think they want to hit that tumor just as soon as possible. If you are unsure about the approach, you might want to get a second opinion at a major center that treats LOTS of bladder cancer. Where are you located? Perhaps some of our members might have suggestions for such a place near where you live.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #43812 by Melle
I am newly diagnosed with muscle invasive BC. Just had TUR but they were unable to remove all of 6 cm tumor. Also had severe hydronephrosis when diagnosed. I am now scheduled to start chemo with gemcitabine and cisplatin to be given for 3 months. I am unsure if I should have the chemo 1st or the RC. Apparently this is a very aggressive type of cancer. I am concerned if I wait and the chemo isn't effective at all I will have wasted all those months and it could spread even further. Also that I will be so wiped out from the chemo I will have to wait even longer before I can have the surgery. It is very overwhelming!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add Files.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 744 Guests 

Statistics

Today Total Opened: 0 Today Total Answered: 0 Latest User: mda4960
Yesterday Total Opened: 0 Yesterday Total Answered: 0
Total Posts: 52348 Total Subjects: 6784 Total Users: 8284
Powered by Kunena Forum