Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC

11 years 3 months ago #43816 by Melle
Replied by Melle on topic Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC
I am happy he is doing well. So that is a positive outcome at least. What type of diversion did he choose? I am weighing the options, but I don't think I am a candidate for neobladder surgery. Guess I need to concentrate on one step at a time. I have had sensory overload this week!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #43815 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC
Jim did not have chemo prior to his rc but after. We just saw his oncologist Friday and had this discussion. 2 1/2 yrs out Jim is dong well and cancer free until proven otherwise. The standard is chemo pre surgery. If you have any doubts a second opinion is always best. I wish you well in your journey.

11 years 3 months ago #43814 by Melle
Replied by Melle on topic Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC
I am in Florida, all the major hospitals with surgeons specializing in RC are about a three hour drive. Which is okay, I'll make the drive, but I am concerned I won't be able to get an appointment any time soon with one of them and I would like a second opinion before I start chemo.

11 years 3 months ago #43813 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Chemo before or after RC for invasive BC
My impression is that this is the usual protocol...chemo and then RC in cases such as yours. I think they want to hit that tumor just as soon as possible. If you are unsure about the approach, you might want to get a second opinion at a major center that treats LOTS of bladder cancer. Where are you located? Perhaps some of our members might have suggestions for such a place near where you live.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 3 months ago #43812 by Melle
I am newly diagnosed with muscle invasive BC. Just had TUR but they were unable to remove all of 6 cm tumor. Also had severe hydronephrosis when diagnosed. I am now scheduled to start chemo with gemcitabine and cisplatin to be given for 3 months. I am unsure if I should have the chemo 1st or the RC. Apparently this is a very aggressive type of cancer. I am concerned if I wait and the chemo isn't effective at all I will have wasted all those months and it could spread even further. Also that I will be so wiped out from the chemo I will have to wait even longer before I can have the surgery. It is very overwhelming!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne