Voiding BCG?

16 years 10 months ago #6167 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Voiding BCG?

I've been in a lot of boats, but not that particular one.

But, despite your name, you aren't "flying solo". Your doctor is your co-pilot, and you should call him immediately and discuss this. You are not going to be the first patient who has done this, and he won't scold you.

Fear is a real paralyzer, and in some cases it's a killer.

I'll tell you a story that I haven't posted yet, but I'm going to elaborate on in a separate thread.

A few weeks after I got out of the hospital following my RC, I felt very weak, and had to go to the bathroom. I could hardly make it to to bathroom I felt so lightheaded.

Then, sitting on the toilet, I passed out cold. I hit the floor face first, but I was unconscious before the impact. The toilet was full of blood. My face was a bloody mess.

I revived after a few seconds, and--hearing the thud--my wife ran into the room. Oddly, lying horizontally on the cool tile floor, I felt better. I convinced her that it was probably just a hemorrhoid and that all I needed was to get to bed and lie down. She--bless her--called USC, but the resident on call just said to watch things. In retrospect, bad advice.

In the morning I had to go to the bathroom again, could barely make it to the toilet, voided more blood, and collapsed on the floor again, this time vomiting blood.

Again, oddly, once I made it to the floor I felt better. I told her NOT to call 911, that I wanted to be driven to the hospital and not have to pay for the ambulance ride.

By this time I was feeling very weak. Not only could I not physically walk to the car, I couldn't even crawl to the living room. I crawled ten feet and couldn't go any further.

When the ambulance arrived I was shivering uncontrollably. It was July and almost 80 degrees in the room. Long story short, when I got to the hospital my blood pressure was so low they started a transfusion almost immediately. By the time they stopped the bleeding (it was in my GI tract) I needed a total of ten units of blood and was in intensive care for almost five days. I was really "going toward the light". It felt so good on the cool tile floor, surrounded by blood and vomit, I told my wife just to leave me alone, that I felt fine.

But why did I ignore the whole "passing out/bloody toilet" episode?

Because I was afraid that I'd have to go back to the hospital. I DID NOT WANT TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. I was afraid I'd have more surgery, and I desperately hoped things would just get better by themselves.

That was the closest I've come to dying. Because I was afraid.

I hope this hits home for those of you who are afraid to discuss things with your doctor.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #6166 by flyingsolo
Voiding BCG? was created by flyingsolo
Yesterday was my second round of BCG. I was scared to void since it hurt so bad last week. Therefore, I didnt increase my liquid intake as directed. I didnt void until around 8 last night (almost 12 hours after my treatment). Hurt? Um, that's an understatement!!! I'm still hurting... been up all night... I'm kind of afraid to call the doc since it was stupid of me. Has anybody been in this boat? ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne