Atypical cystology

7 months 2 weeks ago #61984 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Atypical cystology
Same here.  Have had a lot of atypical cell reports both when my BC was present and when it wasn’t.  It seems it’s not the most accurate test.

it’s kind of like old mammogram technology.  It was very sensitive but something like 70% of positives were false positives.  In medicine they talk about sensitivity and specificity.  Cytology is very sensitive but not high in specificity, ie lots of false positives.  

I am not a physician so take all this with large grain of salt ; )

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 2 weeks ago #61981 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Atypical cystology
I second Sara Anne's comments. In the past 15 years I had an atypical test and it ended up as nothing. I am guessing your URO will re-do the test in a few months. The important thing is keeping the follow-up appointments, which you obviously are doing.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 months 2 weeks ago #61980 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Atypical cystology
Hello, Cyndy!  

I moved your post from "ChitChat" to this category where more people may see it and be able to comment.

I assume from your post that the "atypical cells" were reported from urine cytology tests.  If that is so, you need to know that urine cytology tests often find atypical cells and this CAN be totally normal and not a sign of cancer. You need to discuss this finding with your urologist and find out if he/she considers this significant.

Please let us know how this goes.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 months 2 weeks ago #61979 by Cyndyroberts
Atypical cystology was created by Cyndyroberts
After years of symptoms and always clear scans and a normal cystoscopy 
my cytology report came back with A typical cells 
any one deal with this and what next ? 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne