Can EBC-46 be effective for Non Invasive Bladder Cancer?

10 months 2 weeks ago #61844 by joea73
Hi Jnani,

Thanks for posting new treatment for cancers.   I had no idea what EBC-46 till you had posted.  It is quite interesting drug which can kill cancers.  The link you provided was the work Stanford PhD student did, which was to successfully synthesize EBC-46, technical term Tigilanol tailgate which is extract from seed of blushwood plant, which is grown only in rain forest of Northern Australia.  EBC-46 was developed by QBiotics in Australia.  EBC-46 is sold under Stelfonta, which was approved by FDA in 2021 for the treatment of mast call cancers  to treat dogs with cutaneous (skin)  non-metastatic mast cell cancers anywhere in the body or subcutaneous (underskin) non-metastatic mast cell cancers below elbow or below ankle of dog.  Stelfonta  is injected directly to tumor.   Mast cell cancer is the most common skin cancer among dogs.  The first line treatment is to remove the tumor by surgery with 3 cm margin.   So, the surgery will leave large open wound and looking after open wound is challenging for dog owner.   Stelfonta (EBC-46) is intratumoral treatment and usually it will not require anesthesia.   After the injection, tumor starts breaking down. Once tumor dies, it has self healing process.  Incidentally, BCG which is used to treat bladder cancer was tried  first to treat malignant melanoma in human by injecting directly to tumor as early as late 1960s.  BCG invoked immune responses and killed the tumor.  Stelfonta (EBC-46) works different. It targets a protein called Protein KInase C (PKC) that, when inhibited, prevents tumor cells from making proteins that help them live.  EBC-46 may be a novel drug, but its target PKC is not new.  PKC has been targeted by several compounds. One such compound was tried for relapsed or refractory malignancies, But the  Phase I clinical trial was halted due to severe side effects. Note that EBC-46 was given  intravenously.  

For human, QBiotics, the sole manufacturer of Stelfonta (EBC-46) sponsored  Phase I clinical trial in Australia for solid tumor (Melanoma,etc.).  www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6921293/          

It seems the result from Phase I was good enough for Phase II trial.   We need wait and see if someone tries for bladder cancers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: opaz_67

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 2 weeks ago #61836 by Jnani
Thank you Sara Anne.

10 months 2 weeks ago #61835 by sara.anne
This drug is in the very early stages of research.  It will be a while before we know if it is effective in many human tumors.  Let's hope so.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 months 2 weeks ago #61834 by Jnani
Hello to all,
I came across this t.ly/sH12, and I wonder whether this can suit?
from a quick search I could not see that it has been discussed in the forum

Thanks and Good health!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne