MRI? How safe how unsafe?

1 year 4 weeks ago #61721 by Sarag
Replied by Sarag on topic MRI? How safe how unsafe?
Dear Sara Anne (love your name too! :-)!!

Thank you so much for sharing this insightful information with me. Very helpful indeed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 weeks ago #61720 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic MRI? How safe how unsafe?
Hi Sara....(By the way, I love your name!)

As to your question, dyes used with MRIs ...usually a gadolinium substance....are relatively harmless with very few side effects.  If you do have concerns, discuss this with your urologist.  

Personally, I feel that ANYTHING that can help in the diagnosis of bladder cancer issues is well-worth doing.  The potential for issues with bladder cancer is so much more serious than any minor "side effect" of a contrast medium.  My urologist insists on a CT-Urogram every five years, with and without contrast medium.  I am much more concerned about the radiation from a CT scan and he and I have discussed this;  he has convinced me that this is necessary to be sure that my cancer has not returned or spread to other parts of the system such as the kidneys.  (Note that MRIs do not have the radiation issues that CT scans do.)

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

1 year 4 weeks ago #61719 by Sarag
MRI? How safe how unsafe? was created by Sarag
Hi everyone!
How comfortable are you with doing an MRI with the dye? The doctor recommended we do an MRI but we are not comfortable with the dye and were thinking to do the MRI but without the dye.
What do you think?

Thank you,

Best,

Sara

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne