Re TURBT When & Why

3 years 2 months ago #60481 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Re TURBT When & Why
My comment about the BCG was because you mentioned that you had "side effects and cystitis" that were still present.  I have no idea what the future holds for additional BCG!  Often, if side effects are too cumbersome, the dose can be reduced.  You may not even need to do reduce the dose.

A second TURB is often done 4-6 weeks after the first IF there is a question about the diagnosis from the first one.  In my case the initial path report noted low grade papillary but also "areas of unspecified irritation.  My urologist did the second to look specifically at those areas and found CIS.  Your urologist evidently was satisfied with the first result but now wants to see what is there now.

Let us know the results! 

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #60480 by Bills
Replied by Bills on topic Re TURBT When & Why
Thanks sara for prompt reply. Really appreciate your advises and replies. 
Generally reTURBT is recomended 4 to 6 weeks after first one. That's why I am concerned that are we late in doing it. But I am satisfied that our first TURBT was with deep muscle specimen. So we have our fingers crossed for the second biopsy. Uro told that upstaging has a chance of 20 to 25%. 
Sara u mentioned that our case side effects indicated BCG will not be continued in future. Does that affect the efficacy and prognosis and bcg maintainece is highly recommended. Please can u share ur advises
Thanks 

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #60479 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Re TURBT When & Why
Your urologist is absolutely doing the right thing.  With a diagnosis such as yours, high grade papillary bladder cancer, he will want to be SURE that the diagnosis of Ta is correct as well as check to see that the BCG has been effective.  This is especially important since you appear to have had side effects which probably will limit the use of BCG in the future.  In addition since he knows where the original tumor was located he will be better able to biopsy sites that he wasn't aware of during the first TURBT.

Not sure exactly what you mean by wondering if it is "too late."  You were just diagnosed last September with what appears to be very early bladder cancer.  It is unlikely that there has been any significant change in the 4 months since then.  The course that your urologist has suggested will make sure that the diagnosis was correct and will help plan your future treatment plans.  Sounds as if you are in good hands!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 2 months ago #60478 by Bills
Re TURBT When & Why was created by Bills
Hi 
I want to understand and get some insights about reTURBT and biopsy.
My Uro is suggesting and second biopsy for bladder in order to be sure that cancer has not upstaged to T1 or higher. Our stage was Ta HG papillary.
 We had done TURBT on 14 sep 2020 and then 4 doses of BCG and then the side effects and delaying BCG til today. Side effects and cystitis is subsided around 80% now.
Is is good time for another cystoscope and biopsy? Or we are late ? 
Appreciate your valuable comments 
Thanks 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne