× click the New Topic button to post

To BCG or to R/C

5 months 1 week ago #58917 by Alan
Welcome.

It sounds like there is a recurrence? Big question, did the Doc after the second TURB suggest the cystectomy AFTER the pathology report? There are times where spots are irritation and not cancer. If the second path shows cancer in my opinion (remember none of us are doctors) you have basically 3 choices. Yes, do a cystectomy. Second, try a second round of BCG sometimes with interfuron helps. Or, get a second opinion to give fresh eyes to confirm which way to go and peace on mind. From what you have described personally I'd probably get a second opinion hoping for the best and prepare for the possible cystectomy.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #58916 by klpflum
Hi,
We also are trying to make decisions of what to do. In December he had one spot, but yesterday during TURP the Dr. found 4 areas and recommends doing cystectomy.
He did the 6 weeks of BCG ending in November, and we were so relieved about his bladder looking good and functioning good in December, so now we are confused about what to do next.
If cystectomy is inevitable future, perhaps we should just do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlanta51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #58017 by sara.anne
Depends on whether the papillary was high grade or low grade. CIS is always high grade and so is more likely to spread than a low grade. If the papillary was high grade that means it has the potential to spread.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #58016 by swarmy2007
Which is most likely to spread....Papillary or CIS? I have CIS. Doing 3rd Gemzar treatment tomorrow then scope in 1st week September then if back they said R/C. Every cytology I've had since beginning has came back as CIS even after TURBTS so I guess my bladder just full of cancer and it's a wait for a tumor to do anything. Sounds sorta like a dangerous whack a mole game here. Seems more I learn about this less I know. Thanks for ur input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #58013 by Atlanta51
My thoughts based on my history and not a recommendation. Diagnosed T1. To date, two TURBTS and 9 BCG treatments. At this point, several clear cystoscopes and FISH tests (for now, cancer free). In my case, BCG has proved highly effective. Pending resolution of the BCG shortage, planning for additional treatments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #58012 by Momar
Thank you for the support. Did you do maintenance BCG?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add Files.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 138 Guests 

Statistics

Today Total Opened: 0 Today Total Answered: 0 Latest User: kebo82
Yesterday Total Opened: 0 Yesterday Total Answered: 0
Total Posts: 53788 Total Subjects: 7051 Total Users: 6556