Keep bleeding -unable to get BCG for urethral cancer

6 years 1 month ago #54875 by sara.anne
So sorry to hear of your husband's difficulties with BCG. It is a great treatment for CIS when the patient is able to tolerate it.

You are doing absolutely the right thing to get a second opinion at a place with more experience in difficult cases. They may well have a solution to this problem, Also, your husband's urologist is going to be his "best friend" for the rest of his life and he needs one who is available to explain and consult.

Good luck to you both!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: petuniafish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #54874 by petuniafish
My husband was diagnosed with high grade urethral transitional carcinoma in situ in December. It was discovered when he had transurethral prostatectomy when the prostate was biopsied. For all practical purposes the urologist says he has bladder cancer.
Since then every time he has tried to get BCG he bleeds. Can't get BCG instilled as it would be absorbed in the bloodstream and cause septicemia. At first it was attempted weekly, then biweekly to try to see if whatever is in there would scar over and not cause bleeding. Right now we are in the midst of a three week wait to see if things heal in there before attempting a cath for the BCG. It's scary.
He never meets with the doctor after these fails- just a nurse. The last time we spoke directly with the doctor was Jan. 2. Finally convinced my husband to get a second opinion at a university hospital about 3 hours from home. I doubt he will get much of an answer as it looks like BCG is his only option. Chemo doesn't have a decent success rate. But at least he'll get a second pair of eyes to look at his case.

Just pouring out my thoughts. Didn't help that our sweet dog died from cancer this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne