Update on Steve, BCG etc

17 years 1 month ago #4516 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic Update on Steve, BCG etc
I on the other hand am very skeptical of Dr. Lamm and some of his claims. He is definitely raking in some bucks with his "Oncovite" vitamins (he is definitely in bed with the vitamin manufacturer) and has some pretty shadey studies associated with "Oncovite", which look like complete nonsense to me. But most people on this board think he is a superhero.

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #4451 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Update on Steve, BCG etc
Hi,

I have to say I'm flabbergasted that the doctor wants to continue maintenance at the regular dose. On the other hand, I respect the approach of "don't mess with success". And yes, CIS is dangerous and if it doesn't respond to BCG bladder removal is the other choice people are usually given. It could be worth it, but then again BCG can really mess up someone's bladder if they are oversensitive to it. And make someone very sick, as you've seen...

The research coming out of Europe has been saying for years that lower doses are ok. Lamm himself advises lowering the dose in the face of bad side effects and I'd say your husband fits that bill more than any I've met...

I don't think Dr. Lamm is on the payroll of any pharm. company.

Your consultant is correct about the UK and the US doing things differently when it comes to bladder cancer..but when it comes to the subject of lowered doses of BCG the bulk of that research originated in Europe.

If I were in your husband's shoes, I think I'd get another opinion about it all.
Wendy

17 years 1 month ago #4450 by The_Rabbit
Update on Steve, BCG etc was created by The_Rabbit
Well it is 8 weeks since Steve finished his first round of BCG. You may remember he had a horrendous reaction after last instillation which resulted in a dry eye condition which rendered him practically blind for a few weeks, painful joints and awful spots on his face and back. Plus never ending fatigue. His consultant said he had treated 150 patients with BCG over the last 7 years and only two had suffered such a bad reaction, Steve being one of them, and the worst case he had seen. Well he had his bladder biopsylast week and the CIS had all gone and there were no recurrences of T tumours. Because of this, the 'team' want to continue with maintenance BCG which we thought he would never have because of his reactions. They have spoken to the manufacturers of the BCG - who Dr Lamm works for I believe - and have decided to go ahead with the same dose. I did email Dr Lamm about Steve and he said to continue also but give BCG alongside antibiotics. It is all rather scary but they think as he has had such an excellent response it would be silly to stop treatment at this stage. We know that CIS is likely to return without treatment and then it would be a bladder removal. What do you guys think? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ceri

GP aware of haematura in Jan 06
Diagnosed BC Nov 06
T1G3 with CIS
Age 46, Smoked since 15, gave up at diagnosis

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne