Urologist report my first time reviewing

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #47674 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Urologist report my first time reviewing
Your post has really helped me to take a step back try and relax. One step at a time, I was okay with the first TURBT knew I had to monitor, but never thought I would have a recurrence so soon, I think that caught me very much by surprise.

Thank you again,

Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #47673 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urologist report my first time reviewing
It is confusing, Anne!!

First, it appears that most of the cells in your samples were low grade...there may have been a few that appeared high grade, but evidently not a lot nor were there enough to oonsider it a high grade tumor.

Again, I am "surmising" that lamina propera tissue was present, and there may have been a few cells that looked suspicious in the sample, but not enough to say definitely that the tumor had progressed into this layer.

A "low grade" tumor has malignant cells, but not many of them are dividing at the time the sample was taken. A "high grade" tumor has lots of cells undergoing division ....ie, multiplying...which indicates that the tumor is growing rather more rapidly.

As you know, the problem with low grade bladder cancer is that, while it is not spreading to any extent, it comes back over and over. The bladder lining, for whatever reason, has become susceptible to becoming cancerous, and often produces more tumors. The danger, of course, is that they could become high grade or spread. Your urologist has confidence that you will return every three months for the required monitoring. (I bet you go to the dentist when you should, also)

There are different philosophies on how to treat "low grade." Just careful monitoring, usually every three months, is one. BCG is another, although it is not as effective in low grade as it is in high....rapidly dividing cells are much more susceptible. Some urologists do not use BCG until a low grade tumor has recurred several times.

I know that you are familiar with most of the above, but thought a summary...yes, very simplified....might help clarify things.

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 4 months ago #47672 by AnneH
Thanks for keeping me focused, hopefully once I have someone to sit with me, and explain all of this; some high some grade cells mostly low grade, might have reached the lamina propria. None of this sounds like they are sure of anything. When my doctor states if I thought you were the type not to come back in three months I might have continued BCG, or him saying you or I should not be surprised if in Feb. we have a new tumor to deal with. All of the above is not giving is not very comforting.

I'm determine to get the answers I need to be informed, and make sure they are doing all they can to prevent progression and recurrence. Will be calling Moffitt again on Monday.

Thank you enjoy your weekend,

Anne

9 years 4 months ago #47671 by sara.anne
Anne, grade and possibility of spread are not the same thing. A "high grade" would probably spread faster than a "low grade."

I am with you on this one. It is NOT superficial skin cancer !!! While it is not currently life-threatening, we don't want it to become that. Please call Moffit again on Monday and see if you can prod them along!!

Your urologist is probably perfectly right. BUT you will feel much better to have this diagnosis and treatment plan confirmed.

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

9 years 4 months ago #47669 by AnneH
Yes, I called this week waiting for Moffitt to give me a date and time.

My question is how could this be low grade if it states. with possible lamina propria invasion. Tumor grade 2 No muscle invasion seen. Path report. Papillary urothelial carcinoma grade 2 out of 3. With marked cattery artifact. Can not rule out very focal invasion in sub epithelial connective tissue. Minute fragments of musculaturis prseent for carcinoma. Keep in mind this was in the Trigone area of my bladder. So Lamina Propria would make it stage TI and low grade? I don't see a stage on any report.

I'm giving up trying to understand this, I'm starting to feel like a drama queen. All my husband keeps saying is your urologist is the best just trust him. Easy for him to say since he sat in the office and the doctor said this won't kill me it's like skin cancer, you find it and remove it. Really if he finds one again in Feb. that will be three TURBT in one year. Sorry to keep venting, I don't want to post sometime soon and say wish I would have done this differently.

Thanks for listening, this time of year is busy no need to respond.

Anne.

9 years 4 months ago #47661 by sara.anne
Anne, I am running around today and haven't had time to check your past posts, but weren't you going to get a second opinion? Yes, these are "lowish grade" but I would be concerned about the frequency. If I am mistaken, and you AREN't the one getting a second opinion, this might be the time!!

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne