woried about BC

10 years 1 month ago #46110 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic woried about BC
You are doing absolutely the right thing! I had several "UTI's"...my gynecologist told me that if this happens more then 2 or 3 times, I needed to see a urologist. So, the next time it hit, I did. No UTI!! But also, no blood EVER in my urine! And, it did turn out to be bladder cancer, caught early, treated, and I am now in my 6th year clear!!

As you have been told, there ARE other things that can cause blood in the urine. Since I am not a physician, I won't try to produce a list, but it doesn't have to be bladder cancer. BUT if it is, you want an early diagnosis!

Please try not to worry too much (difficult, I know) until you do have a diagnosis. And let us know what happens,

wishing you the best of luck

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago #46109 by cdg56
Replied by cdg56 on topic woried about BC
Thanks Anne for the reply. Will keep fingers crossed for your follow up cysto. It is the nerves and the what if's that take over in our minds, I know. Yes, I am glad to have found this forum and it is always helpful to talk to someone who knows...been there...done that as the saying goes. My urine does not appear to change color....it is still red, BUT when I wipe seems to be a slight red on the toilet paper...only once I saw a small spot in the toilet but never where the water is red or the urine is red. Do you know if in bladder cancer...is the urine more times than not a different color...being red or the water appearing red? I am scheduled to see my family physician on Thursday and had a follow urinalysis today, but I made a proactive decision this morning and scheduled with an Urologist for next week...Do you also know what besides red blood cells in a urinalysis that would lean a physician towards cancer and further testing? Thanks for the input.

10 years 1 month ago #46108 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic woried about BC
First let me state although blood in the urine can be BC it can be from benign conditions as well. One of the signs I had were blood and clots when urinating, after putting off for more than six months I finally went for a transvaginal ulta sound the results I was told was a cyst on my ovary. That would need to be watched but if it was continuing I would need to do another test. Putting my blinders on not wanting to hear anything negative I waited six more months. The results then came back that I had a tumor in my , made an appointment with uroligist who did a cystoscope, no clue he was going to do that test. He advised you have a cancerous tumor that was the non-invasive type and would need to have a TURBT. Results after surgery TA Grade 2 which he described as a nusiance type of cancer that had a tendency to recur. Began my 6 weeks of BCG treatments and will get a a follow up cystoscope three weeks later.

Happy to have found this forum my doctor although he is good, not really someone that sits with you to explain treatment or results.
Honestly is was worse not knowing so I believe you will feel relieved just knowing next steps.

Good Luck!!

10 years 1 month ago #46103 by cdg56
woried about BC was created by cdg56
Hello everyone. I am new here and not quite sure or comfortable with writing. I am 57 years old, post menopause going on 4-5 years now. I had a colonoscopy the beginning of January and was told all was fine besides internal and external hemorrhoids which I knew I had and was aware of. A week after that, I ended up with burning, urgency, frequency, pain. Went to an urgent care. They told me there was no blood seen, but that I did have an UTI. I was put on an antibiotic. Two months later, I felt I was getting another UTI. Same symptoms but this time, I noticed when I wiped, there was a slight small red spot on the toilet paper. So also a little drop in the toilet bowl. my urine did not appear discolored. I went to the Dr. She ran a quick office check and said it did show blood in the urine but actually no UTI. She did start me on another antibiotic because she felt all my symptoms, the blood in the urine were indicative of another UTI, but she would send it off for C&S. She called me back a few days later and said the C&S came back negative...no UTI???? I am going back this week and having a urinalysis, C&S recheck to see if in fact the blood still shows and what all the other values are on the urinalysis. My mom did also have a history of bladder CA, in situ, I believe because way back then, she never ever had anything other than what was called a chemo flush I remember??? So my question to all, how concerning this time around now that I did in fact see a spot in the toilet, on toilet paper, my Dr. said my office quick check did show blood, but no UTI, should I be concerned with bladder cancer. I know what my steps should probably be if my recheck does in fact show blood again, but what if it is negative??? I am really concerned, confused, and would love to hear from others who may have experienced anything similar. Thanks all.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne