polyp removal in dr office?

10 years 10 months ago #44919 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic polyp removal in dr office?
I agree, Had an in office biopsy done, and would definitely not do that again.
Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #44918 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic polyp removal in dr office?
Hi sherri , I had a small tumor removed in the office , oowwww . won't do that again. The next ones I went to same day surgery and got knocked out to have them removed. No I would not have any taken out again in the office. Hope this helps' Rocky

10 years 10 months ago #44905 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic polyp removal in dr office?
I can only second everything that Catherine has said! I had a very small biopsy done in the office once...there was a small bit of irritation that the uro was pretty sure was from BCG, but he wanted to be sure. That was OK, but I certainly would not want any more. And, you DO want to be sure he is thorough and takes enough sample to be SURE about the degree of involvement.

Did you "inherit" this new doctor when your old one left? This is a good time to be sure you have the right one. You want a urologist who specializes in bladder cancer. As you probably know, many see mostly prostate issues and are not really bladder cancer experts.

Good luck to you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #44904 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic polyp removal in dr office?
Good morning and welcome to the forum, sheri. I can't make your decision for you, but I will weigh in with my thinking on this.

I would not consider having that much work done in the doctor's office. Aside from the pain involved, when you are under anesthesia the doctor can do a more thorough sampling if needed, or perhaps go a bit deeper into the tissue to ensure better staging, especially since this is a recurrence. And there is no way he can be certain they are "superficial, non-invasive" until the pathology has been done on the tumors. Calling them polyps seems to make them sound less threatening, but it is still bladder cancer and needs to be taken very seriously by him.

Also, with the retirement of your former urologist, it might also be a good time to check around and make sure this is the doc for you. Even offering something that extensive in an office setting would put me off.

Again welcome... please feel free to ask anything here.

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

10 years 10 months ago #44903 by Sheri2604
polyp removal in dr office? was created by Sheri2604
Hi, Everyone,

I am new here. First diagnosed with stage 2 bladder cancer when I was 32 years old. No muscle invasion. I have been having cystoscopies every 6 months. I have had re occurring polyps every two to three years. Nothing major but annoying. I have always had them removed in a hospital setting. My urologist has recently retired and now I just saw my new urologist this past week. I had gone almost 5 years cancer free but now It has come back. He says they is a cluster of 4 polyps (superficial-non invasive). This doctor said I can either have them taken out in the dr. office or the hospital. My previous urologist did not like doing this in the dr. office. This new doctor did say it was very painful to have it done this way, but is over in 5 minutes and of course less money and no anesthesia. Has anyone had polyps removed in the doctor's office? I need to make my decision this week. Thank you. Sheri

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne