THE FATIGUE CONTINUES

14 years 9 months ago #26973 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic THE FATIGUE CONTINUES
Have your uro or your internist done blood work lately?
As Mike said, it could be something other than BCG or the bladder cancer. If you were female, the first thing to check would be thyroid (but men can have low levels also) and also, testing for anemia. Since these tests require a small amount of blood, and should probably be part of an annual physical, it is no "biggie."

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #26972 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic THE FATIGUE CONTINUES
Good points, Mike. I do sleep with a CPAP, but the last couple weeks haven't been able to get into a sound sleep, so something is amiss.

One thing I forgot to mention is I had a "cycto retrograde" last week where the Doc scraped off the shoulder where a ureter enters the bladder, just so he could see into the ureter better. He also took the opportunity to grab a sample for biopsy...came back negative, so even more relief! :woohoo:

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

14 years 9 months ago #26971 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic THE FATIGUE CONTINUES
Bob,

I did not experience the symptoms that you described. Do you get good quality sleep when you go to bed at night? Are you able to sleep through the night?

It could be that the fatigue is caused by something else (then again maybe not). If you had it before the bladder cancer was discovered, then it probably wouldn't be from stress associated with thinking about cancer. It probably wasn't from bladder cancer itself, because now you are cancer free. It may be worse due to the BCG treatments, but those effects should have worn off in between cycles of treatment.

You may want to talk to your regular doc about a sleep study. Sleep apnea and a ton of other things could contribute to the symptoms you describe and there are ways to treat most of the contributing causes.

Best of luck with this! Doesn't sound fun at all.:S

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 9 months ago #26968 by slabman
THE FATIGUE CONTINUES was created by slabman
As I've mentioned before, I've had issues with extreme fatigue since before discovery of my BC in March of last year. I would regularly require an hour nap most afternoons while driving to the next location. But this need for napping has intensified-particularly in recent months and now I cannot seem to get through a day without a nap. Some days I require 3-4 hours of sleep and after waking up I could just need to rest some more, it seems. The tiredness I experience is unlike anything I've ever felt before, meaning I am absolutely exhausted and just can't seemingly get rested enough. This problem has become worse since I took treatments #12-15 back in April of this year.

Has anyone experienced this amount of fatigue after contacting this dreaded disease? Could the BCG have added to this condition and made it worse? I guess my concern is what other factors could be at play here.....:unsure:

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne