Troubling Report

17 years 4 months ago #2468 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Troubling Report
Greg,

Yes, My doctor did tell me of another surgery he did with someone that had TCC of the ureter where he did cut out the end of the ereter and then reattach it to another area in the bladder. My understanding is that it is major open surgery rather than the usual through the urethra TURB. He was addressing my concern about the possiblity of scarring closing that opening on the left ureter as to what alternatives could be done if necessary. I am open to another TURB after the holidays but in the meantime I would like something to settle my mind and concern of another meaning, other than CIS for this positive urine cytology reading. CIS frightens me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2466 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Troubling Report
Hi,

good luck with this one Rosie - I'm one of those who has the chop as soon as possible TURBT or TURP - I have no desire to risk a surface pap. hiding a developing CIS. Furthewrmore I gather that the weakened tissue in thge area of the pap. can become prone to other developements!

My uros. always check the sites of past scars from past TURBTs & TURPs first - then move on.

As for location near ureter - QUESTION: surely a ureter can be cut off the bladder, the apperture stitched and a relocation take place with TU & Keyhole - use the existing key hole ;)

Good luck - I hope you get the answers you want.

Regards,
Greg L-W.

17 years 4 months ago #2465 by Rosie
Troubling Report was created by Rosie
I received a trougling report today! I have been following the protocol for watching waiting on my 4th papillary recurrence since February of this year. I had another cysto in June and then another in this November. Each time Dr. Grob saw it as a low grade papillary which went from a 3 millimeter when first seen in February to about a 7 millimeter seen in November. Each time a urine cytology was done. February, and June the urine cytology was negative. Doctor called today and said November's urine cytology came back positive, surprising us both. I still do not want to rush out again into another TURB as I am most concerned with the other risks involved in another surgery. I am referencing the stated warnings, risk and complications that could result at a result of the surgery itself. You know, the paper we have to sign agreeying the risks were stated to us and we agreed to proceed anyway. I have an added threat/risk from additional surgery due to the fact the papillary recurrence is at the left ureter orifice. I am in good health and have no other medical conditions other than having these recurrent TA Papillary grade 1 and 2 tumors. Anyway, my question to anyone in the know? Is the urine cytology test an “eyeballing” opinion from someone reading it? Can certain supplements or medications affect the reading of urine cytology? Is it possible that a "in situ" cancer suddenly appears beneath the observed papillary? Four months after a prior cysto and urine cytolgoy and 6 years from the original papillary? Would another urine cytology test after refraining from supplements and medication be an alternative? I know there are many of you wanting to tell me to just have the TURB and pathology report done again. I am not looking for that advice at this point. I am looking for some factual information that I don’t have. Thank You

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne