Squamous Cells

15 years 6 months ago #21723 by FAYH
Replied by FAYH on topic Squamous Cells
I'm a female with a 9 year history of noninvasive bc. Recently I ordered all of the records from my urologists over the years to look them over. I noticed the presence of squamous cells was noted on several cytology reports for cytologies done during a time when I was having no recurrences. I never knew this before, since no doctor had ever mentioned the squamous cells to me. I don't know what it means when they are found in the urine, but I'll ask next time.

FAY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21718 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Squamous Cells

15 years 6 months ago #21716 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Squamous Cells
Chuck,

It's the Doctor's language that has me confused. Does squamous cells in the urine mean that the FISH test was positive?

False positives are not uncommon with FISH....

But, the Doc is doing right to keep a close watch....

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 6 months ago #21714 by cljjlk
Squamous Cells was created by cljjlk
Two weeks ago I had my second cysto since my Mitomycin treatment in April. My doctor stated that he found no new tumors and the areas of the last two TURBS and biopsies looked fine. Part of my Urologist routine is that he orders a FISH test one week prior to the cysto. Then the day of the cysto he does another routine urinalysis. He stated that the FISH showed squamous cells in the specimen. After the cysto he had me stay around long enough that I could give him another specimen. My questions is does the existence of squamous cell in the urine indicate anything. When I asked him he stated that they were pre-cancerous cells and might not indicate anything, but he wanted to keep a close watch. I guess I could do a search on the internet, but I have found that our forum is great in answering questions too. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Chuck ;)

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne