Second hand smoke and Bladder Cancer

16 years 1 week ago #15668 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Second hand smoke and Bladder Cancer
Rosemary, I am sure that there are a lot of factors, other than smoke, that go into the development of cancer...probably the most important is the "condition" of our DNA. Probably, all during our lives various things such as smoke, exposure to chemicals, free radicals, happen that affect this. Also, our genetics
(something pretty subtle.) But anything we can do to reduce the "attack" on our DNA will reduce the probabilities.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15661 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Second hand smoke and Bladder Cancer
Sara Anne,

I've posted about the second hand smoke issue before. When I was a child, both of my parents smoked in the car with the windows rolled up. Long trips were always the total pits for us kids. My dad died of lung cancer at the age of 56. I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer at the age of 54.

The part that I don't understand, is that none of my other 4 siblings (2 of whom are older than me) have any type of cancer, bladder cancer or other. My Mother smoked for 50 years and has never had cancer.

I'm not advocating smoking, but if smoking or second hand smoke CAUSES bladder cancer, then why doesn't it cause bladder cancer for everybody???

I have an aunt who is 92 and is still smoking. My mother took her a carton of cigarettes from NC for her 90th birthday.

No matter what the causes MIGHT be, bladder cancer just doesn't seem to be an equal opportunity disease for everybody.

It's just really hard to pin the cause of this disease down to anything.

I was Dx'd in January of 06 and I've not had any recurrances yet....

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #15657 by sara.anne
Second hand smoke and Bladder Cancer was created by sara.anne
I want to emphasize that I am not angry at anyone on this list, but I am angry and feel the need to tell my tale. I was diagnosed in January (had my second BCG today). Am a female, non-smoker. BUT my husband smoked...a pipe...all the time. Claimed that he "didn't inhale." For a while I was having real breathing problems and asked if he would PLEASE at least not smoke in the car. He agreed...until they decided that I didn't have asthma after all. Then he began again. In 1998 he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He said that he would quit smoking AFTER his lung surgery. Until they told him that his lungs were in such bad shape that they couldn't operate until he had several months of pulmonary therapy. Then he quit. He died a year and a half later.
Now I am also paying a price....both my internist and urologist feel that second hand smoke could well be a causative factor in my BC.
Every time I see someone smoking I want to shake them. Not only are they putting themselves in danger, but are also harming their loved ones. I can't be angry at my husband...he paid a terrible price.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne