It's back....

16 years 2 months ago #13843 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic It's back....
Actually Connie..it was about Laurens original posting that it had been 2 years since her initial TURB and her uro performed not a snip and zap..but a TURB in the office for biopsy. Plus the mention by Lauren that " He cut most of it out to biopsy ".........most of it out? I really have to question that. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13835 by ConnieOnAQuest
Replied by ConnieOnAQuest on topic It's back....
These posts are about biopsy and electrofulguration in the office, not TURBs in the office. Two different things --just wanted to clarify. TURBs (resection) in the hospital are done after the initial diagnosis of a tumor(s) in the bladder. In the case of someone with a history of small, low grade tumors, then there is the choice of office vs. hospital if the urologist offers the office procedure option. Either way, you get a pathology report. If, against the odds, the path report comes back high grade, then a TUR in the hospital is done to the necessary muscle tissue.

16 years 2 months ago #13833 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic It's back....
I am with Pat, never heard of a turb done in an office setting, or anything close to it. Infection and other things come to mind. Did he make you stay a few hours til you felt better, like they do sometimes at the ER..?? Second opinion, comes to mind as well, and how about a hospital stay for a turb thats done under normal protocol,, don't take any chances,,take care, Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13829 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic It's back....
My urologist, who had plenty of experience, mutterred "not more than a grade 1 or 2" when he first saw my cancer --- and I didn't even know he was taking about cancer :o. It was grade 3 by 2 independent pathologists. My urologist didn't believe it. Thank goodness it was Ta, but I really can't imagine how a urologist could tell how deep a tumor is by visual inspection. Sorry, I'll still go for the path report every time.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #13823 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic It's back....
My point is that the FIRST Turb should be done in the hospital under anesthesia to determine what you are really dealing with. Its to important not to get the correct pathology the first time around and maybe even a second opinion on that. If the urologist has seen lots and lots of bladder cancer let him go ahead and snip and zap with further cysto's if he's sure they are non-invasive papillary tumors. I just don't think the first "OUCH" should be in a doctors office.
Pat

16 years 2 months ago #13816 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic It's back....
My first was outpatient hospital, too... and I have a copy of the pathology report, which I will compare against the one I hope to have in my hands tomorrow or Thursday. He cut into the muscle the first time, since the tumor was very large. I understand the importance of getting enough tissue to be able to do a thorough pathological study. I also understand a feeling that a doctor gets for cancer when he sees it often, and I appreciate not being sent to a hospital for my first tiny, papilloma-like recurrence. If I have the slightest question in the language of the pathology report, I'll determine what to do from there.

Bill, it's hard not be afraid when you know they are about to snip and zap, but you are right, it's definitely not as bad as we build it up to be... it's more the IDEA of it, I think! Like if someone grabbed your hand and tried to burn you with a soldering iron, you'd yank your hand away and RUN.... but when that soldering iron is inside your body, it's a different story!! ;D

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne