Worried...

16 years 1 month ago #14611 by gabriel21
Replied by gabriel21 on topic Worried...
Hi Rosemary

The answer unfortunately is no: he's still not getting cultures the day of treatment + we don't know whether he's got a UTI or not! :(

Fever seems to be stable at this very moment.

Tomorrow morning they'll go see the doctor. Are there any specific questions you recommend them to ask? I will pass on your notes on UTI (I've done it before but I'll insist!).

Thanks so much as always for your quick response, love,

Gabriel

My father is a male, 65, nonsmoker. Hematuria 01/08 TURB: T1 G3 widespread bladder+prostatic urethra; 3-month BCG.
Clean until 02/11: small TURB with no biopsy; 06/11 tumour detected TURB 08/11: awaiting biopsy, prostatic adenoma removed. Biopsies show both were benign. (...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #14610 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Worried...
Hey Gabriel,

So sorry to hear about your Dad's great discomfort and fever. In my opinion, you have done the best thing for him by taking him to the Emergency Room.

It's pretty normal for bleeding and burning to increase with subsequent BCG treatments. It sounds like your Dad is also having bladder spasms which I hear are really, really painful.

The trauma that occurred at the time of catherization may have a bearing on the increase of pain and bleeding, but there is no way to know until next time. I guess he's getting a little break from BCG's for a few weeks, right????

I'm a little confused as to why your Dad would have a BCG treatment if he already had a UTI. Are the Doc's trying to say that the UTI occurred during BCG treatment? Are they still not doing a culture the day of treatment????

Lot's of questions.

Keep a really close eye on that fever, though.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 month ago #14609 by gabriel21
Hi All!

My father has had his 6th instillation of BCG this morning and his fever this evening has increased up gradually up to 38.2ºC (100.76ºF)...

and these reactions: more bleeding than usual the first times he urinated, more pain with sudden whiplashes of it around the groin area, difficulties urinating with some coagulated blood coming out.

Apparently, the catheterization was more difficult than usual. Does this mean anything?

Because he was a bit scared - in the absence of his urologist - he went to emergencies and the urologist at the clinic has prescribed him with an antibiotic called Norfloxacino (Noroxin or Chibroxin).

Is this the right thing to do?

You guys have told me in the past that moderate fever on the day of BCG is normal... isn't taking an antibiotic on the same day of BCG and first day of fever a bit too rushed?? What if fever increases very much?

Please respond ASAP.

Love to all

Gabriel

My father is a male, 65, nonsmoker. Hematuria 01/08 TURB: T1 G3 widespread bladder+prostatic urethra; 3-month BCG.
Clean until 02/11: small TURB with no biopsy; 06/11 tumour detected TURB 08/11: awaiting biopsy, prostatic adenoma removed. Biopsies show both were benign. (...)

16 years 2 months ago #14064 by Rosemary
Gabriel,

It is standard procedure in my Doc's office to test the Urine for Blood/Bacteria on the day of treatment and BEFORE administering BCG.

Here is a google on the subject...(Drugs.com)

Urine cultures (recommended before and at periodic intervals during treatment {07} {08}; recommended if urinalysis or clinical symptoms suggest presence of urinary tract infection {40})

www.drugs.com/mmx/pacis.html

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 2 months ago #14063 by gabriel21
Hi Rose

The doctor is definetely not checking for blood in the urine before BCG! What do you advise us to do?

We've got these self-test urine tubes, which my father is gathering data from every other day.

We've had to mix and match vitamin supplements to come near Oncovite's formula without the Bs... My father will do real Oncovite only during BCG maintenance.

Love

Gabriel

16 years 2 months ago #14056 by Rosemary
Gabriel,

SOME bleeding is normal with BCG's. Just out of curiosity are your Doc's checking for blood in the Urine on the day of his BCG treatment???

Also, I'm a little confused about the Oncovite issue. I was under the impression that Oncovite was supposed to be used as an adjunct DURING BCG therapy.

Also, how do you get Oncovite WITHOUT the B vitamins? Does Dr. Lamm produce them both ways???

Thanks.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne