Quality of Life - Frequent Urination

16 years 3 months ago #12416 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
Melodie,

I was hoping that after TURB that my constant excessive thirst would be abated, but I haven't noticed a difference. The only difference that I've noticed is that there is no blood in urine on voiding.

It's a cycle of some sort, voluminous urination and excessive thirst.

Paul,

Your comment about sleep apnea is very interesting and an idea that I think COULD apply.

I have a younger sister with sleep apnea, and my older brother just recently was diagnosed with the same. They both have to sleep with the oxygen masks at night. My bro says he is sleeping much better and doesn't get sleepy during daytime. I don't know if he had urinary issues, but I will ask him.

I dislike the idea of the mask. I wonder if losing my extra 20 pounds would help the situation?

Thanks you all!!

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12409 by PGS
Replied by PGS on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
I think everyone has been very helpful about the daytime urge.

Something for those who are okay in the daytime but need to get up frequently at night is that it may be a symptom of sleep apnea. Evidently when you drop into a deep sleep your brain tells your kidney to slow down on the urine production so that you can sleep through the night. If you have sleep apnea you don't spend enough time in a deep sleep so the kidneys never slow down causing frequent trips to the bathroom.

Maybe this will help someone else along the way.

Paul
Age 55
Ta G1
Dx Dec '07

16 years 3 months ago #12408 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
Rosemary,

I'm surprised to learn you have this problem...I guess I am so used to seeing you help others that I don't think of you having such concerns....

anyway, prior to my dx of BC, I was having frequency...and definite urges but I could not void completely...although I drank alot, I would not urinate in large volume. Funny, but last year,for months, prior to my surgery, I would find myself constantly thirsty, moreso in the evenings, and I didn't have diabetes either. I have noticed since the surgery and several months of recovery, that problem has gone away. Go figure. Anyway, I hope you can get this figured out so you don't have to be up so often running to the bathroom. I have a number of friends over 50 who tell me they have to get up at least 2 or 3 times every night. Take care, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 3 months ago #12406 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It is so nice to come home from a hard day's work and to feel the empathy here.

Warren, it's really nice to have a Doctor on board, and I will discuss your recommended issues with him on the 15th. It's a comfort to know that you think that these are not bladder cancer issues.

As to the question about diabetes, the GP checked for diabetes last month when I complained to him about frequency. I haven't gotten a letter from him about a problem there, but I did get a letter about high cholesterol.

He did ask me if I drank a lot of water (I do, but I do also get very thirsty), and he did seem relieved that there was a lot of volume when I did go.

I'm really afraid to take the Vesicare (though I am seriously considering at least giving it a try) because of the side effect of constipation. I almost think that constipation would be a worse problem, (though I'm not really sure about that.)

I'm with the rest of you. I'm hypersensitive about going as soon as I feel the urge because of the worry that holding it may have been what caused the Bladder Cancer to begin with (?)

Thanks to you all for the support. I'll talk to the Urologist on the 15th and see what he says about the frequency....

Kindest regards to all,
Rose

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 3 months ago #12405 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
Dear Rosemary,
Bladder spasms cause you to have to go frequently with only a small amount of urine. If you're urinating large volumes frequently, those are not bladder symptoms, and therefore, not suggestive of a bladder cancer issue. Large frequent voids can occur with diabetes, drinking too much fluid, or your kidneys not concentrating your urine which will make it necessary to drink more to make up for the losses. Your doctor can help figure this out with a urinalysis done on a routine specimen and on a fluid restricted specimen to see if the urine becomes more concentrated.
Voiding every 2 hours during the day is actually recommended to avoid UTIs, but is obviously not a workable nighttime routine. Whether or not there is a solution depends on the interpretation of the urinalysis.
I'm not sure why this is such a mystery to your doctors. Am I missing something? If they need documentation of the size of your voids to figure out whether or not your frequncy is due to large voids, you could measure the volume.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 3 months ago #12404 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Quality of Life - Frequent Urination
Hi Rosemary,

So sorry to hear you are having a down day. I always see you there cheering the rest of us on.

I also go quite often but its a mind set. Early on a doctor told me never to 'hold it' and of course I am ridiculous about it. I go at the slightest urge.

I think that Julie may be on to something. It certainly is worth looking into. It may not have anything to do with this damn bc.

I'm not the best cheer leader in the world, but I hope the sun shines for you tomorrow. Let us know what the doctor tells you and please do not get too discouraged.

Best,
Gracie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne