Platinol and Gemcitabine?

17 years 3 months ago #3164 by Jeannette
Replied by Jeannette on topic Platinol and Gemcitabine?
Hi Sara,
Im going to try and make this short.my husband was diagnoised with superficial bladder cancer when he was 42, he did the BCG treatments for 6 weeks went for all his follow ups and from what
we were told in june everything was good (he still has his bladder). in august he was diagnoised with stage 4 bladder cancer (it had metastised to his bones) we found out because he was having extremely bad back aches, how it happened is still  a mystery to us, anyway he started off with 15 treatments of radiation and then started the chemo he has completed three cycles.as you know everyone will respond differently to the chemo.. the first treatment of the first cycle (cisplatin and gemzar made him extremely sick 2 to 3 days after it and it lasted about 6days the second and third treatments made him sick also  just not as sick. when he went for his 2nd cycle they gave him a drug called AMEND(ask about it)it helped alittle, . he has completed a total of 3 cycles(it should have taken 3 months for 3 cycles but i think it has taken him more like 4 and a half months because his WBC has been low or he was just to ill to go for the treatment.. please don't get me wrong he has ALOT of great days.. as far as hairloss goes he is definately thinning, (he had such thick hair)  I have meet some people whos only side effects are mouth sores and upset stomache so just remeber that everyones side effects are different,,I hope i helped alittle and if you have more questions i'll be happy to help.. so much for keeping it short. I wish you
and your mom the best of luck and  know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers
Jeannette

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #3156 by survivor
Replied by survivor on topic Platinol and Gemcitabine?
Hi Sara,
As Wendy said, the side effects vary among different persons. I had nausea, but again the anti-nausea drugs are very helpful and prevented me from vomiting. Loss of hair 3 weeks after my first cycle started. Cisplatin affects the WBC count and brings it low and forced me to go for neupogen shots to boost it. Gemzar affects RBC count and I had to take blood transfusion ,just once though.And it definitely varies from person to person. I am very sensitive to drugs and reacted in full swing to all of them... :) My WBC used to go down real low and then neupogen will bring it up alaramingly high...but I have seen people who dont react that much and handle all the drugs very well. And it is cumulative as Wendy pointed.Hope this helps.
Good luck to you and your mother,
Shoba.

S R
Kidney Transplant 1998
Upper Tract TCC, Dec 2004
Native kidney Right Nephroureterctomy Dec 2004
Non invasive bladder cancer,High Grade, Ta,TURB Jan 2012
Native kidney Left Nephroureterectomy Feb 2012

17 years 3 months ago #3146 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Platinol and Gemcitabine?
Hi Sara,

The results your doctor refers to are mostly from phase II clinical trials, that compared GC to MVAC, which used to be the standard and is now being replaced by GC because it's less toxic. MVAC still has slightly higher response rates, but it's four drugs instead of two, including Platinol (cisplatin, the 'c' in GC/Gemzar-Cisplatin).

The thing with chemo is that the side effects are cumulative, meaning they get worse with each treatment. Not everyone gets these side effects, so maybe your mother will get a break. Also, there are excellent drugs to combat the side effects of nausea and vomiting and there is no reason to suffer through that. Those symptoms usually come a day or two-three after the treatment. Many doctors tell you to take the anti-nausea meds before the nausea gets a chance to strike. Like with pain, it's best to prevent it rather than treat it.

All the best to you and your mother,
Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #3143 by sstephenson
Replied by sstephenson on topic Platinol and Gemcitabine?
Hi Jeanette,
Thanks for coming back to me. I've done little research in the last few days - been busy with so much. When I asked why that specific cocktail, they said it was because of the results it had provided. Results based on what? Based on people with stage IV etc. Your feedback helps.

How long ago was your husband diagnosed? When did he start Chemo and tell me most of all, what were his side effects? I'm so anxious to know how mom will be during her treatment. I really feel as though I need to (mostly want to) be with her at her side - literally take leave from work and partner with her throughout this thing. Weakness, I know. Nausea and vommitting - to what extent?

Thank-you so so much for respnonding.
Sara
xo

17 years 3 months ago #3115 by Jeannette
Replied by Jeannette on topic Platinol and Gemcitabine?
Hi Sara,
my husband age 46 was diagnoised with stage 4 bladder cancer,, Cisplatin and Gemzar is the chemo treatments he is having,, he does them in cycles (one month equals 1 cycle) 1st week is cisplatin and gemzar 2nd and 3rd week is just gemzar 4th week off. then the cycle begins all over.. from what I have read that is the cocktail they use for most stage 4 bladder cancer,, good luck Sara... If you want any further information let me know I'd be glad to answer your questions as best as I can..Jeannette

17 years 3 months ago #3085 by sstephenson
Platinol and Gemcitabine? was created by sstephenson
Hi,

Anyone know much about Cisplatin (Platinol) and Gemcitabine as a chemo cocktail? Would love any and all feedback!

Much appreciated,
Sara :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne