Pain Management---13 days and Counting----VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!

15 years 11 months ago #16817 by aimeth
Hi Karen,

Just getting back into the group and first of all I am sorry to read your dilemma. Hospital stays usually become stressful, tiresome...........

With my husband, he seemed to have many issues with the pain. While his doctor kept increasing the oxicodine the pain seemed to increased as well. When at the hospital we learned to hire different doctors for different situations, like infectious disease doctors for infections, pain management doctors for pain, well it really worked for us. And they worked well together.

Hope things get better for you, your husband and family.

Take care,
Aimeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16805 by momof4
Rosemary,

Thank you for suggesting the patient advocate....FINALLY our concerns were heard....
Angelo was put on the Fentanyl patch 75 mg. Dilaudid for breakthrough, Ambien for sleep...What he was on when he arrived except the Fentanyl patch went up 25mg...He is feeling so much better tonight. He showered (with only a little assistance, which was more for my benefit because I was scared he would fall) he shaved himself, and is as we speak eating a Sushi dinner, and watching Raymond and laughing!! YEAH!!! We are aiming for a release date early next week. Please say prayers, and cross your fingers that we make it through the weekend with no other major issues...

Thanks for your support Pat...It was invaluable! And thank you Rosemary!

(((Hugs)))
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 11 months ago #16801 by mssmr
dear Karen -- I'm so sad to hear what you and Angelo are going through there. I agree with those who suggest that you contact the "patient advocate" or whatever they call the position there. I needed to do that one time and did have my concern addressed quickly and with utmost respect. What a relief.

I, who usually have no ahortage or words, am having trouble now, but I know you will continue to move mountains for your beloved. I do so wish, though, that you can tap into a solid professional advocate there who can ease the challenges -- I'm angry on your behalf, Karen -- In support -- Susan

15 years 11 months ago #16782 by bobmac2
Oh Karen, how sad. I agree with Rosemary- get to the head 'honcho' & voice your concerns about their treatment. That was the only way I got action for Bob last fall. When I 'lost-it' in the reception area, I suddenly had help coming from all corners. I'm following all your posts & thinking of you often. Take care, Lorrie

15 years 11 months ago #16780 by Rosemary
Wow, Karen!! This sounds like a living nightmare. There is no communication between Doctors who are managing your husband's case!

Is it time to talk this over with a hospital liason?

Someone needs to hear your concerns, I think.

Take good care.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 11 months ago #16777 by momof4
Hi All,

Tomorrow will be 14 days since my husband was voluntarily admitted to the hospital for Pain Management issues. During this time they have yet to achieve the goal. We have had issues of Misdiagnosis of his bone lesions, a scary rise in blood pressure, and then a scary decrease in blood pressure, Orders not being followed, (or written down for that matter). A Cardiologist saying that he doesn't need the extra fluids it is raising his blood pressure...A resident telling us that since he is now getting Radiation that he needs the extra fluids...and the Radiation Oncologist saying that is not true....UGHHHH!!!!I think that Teaching hospitals are WONDERFUL for curable types of cancer, but I am having second thoughts about a teaching hospital for end of life issues/pain management/ etc... He is now receiving 80 mg of Oxycontin 2 times a day and 100mg of Oxycontin at night. He can still have 1mg of Dilaudid (intravenously) every 2 hrs. if the pain breaks through...I don't understand why they didn't increase his Fentanyl Patch ( It lasts 3 days for God's sake) He was on the lowest dosage of 50mg...and Fentanyl is available up to 250mg...they keep playing around with the Oxycontin, and after 14 days don't have it right yet???? Is this normal? Am I crazy? He was honestly on less of a roller coaster pain wise at home...Yes, I was up every couple of hours...But shouldn't they have figured this out by now?

I am hearing of MRSA here on the forum...Usually after or during a hospital stay...I know that Pneumonia is a killer in this situation...He needs to get out of that hospital ASAP...what should I do here? I do not want his used as a guinea pig for the new residents to figure out how pain medication works!!! I also can't call in Hospice...If I do he can't get Radiation...I don't think we are at Hospice stage yet...Any suggestions? I am losing sleep and slowly losing my mind....

Thanks,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne