Spoke too soon???

16 years 3 weeks ago #15377 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Spoke too soon???
I've noticed these same things with Bob- I'm going to contact the family Dr. & ask about the B-12. His personality started to change for the worse long before he got sick- but now,everyone must walk on eggshells around him. I felt so bad on the weekend when we had the 2 older grandkids overnight- he was so short with them, not the fun Grandad that he should be. His memory is awful- can't remember anyones name anymore, he has gotten so opinionated that no one wants to talk to him- especially me. Could it be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency? He was prescribed anti-depressents quite awhile ago but doesn't take them as he doesn't think he needs them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 weeks ago #15375 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Spoke too soon???
Julieann,

I would suggest that your mother make an appointment for blood work. Pat has mentioned many times about this B-12 deficiency and it really holds a lot of weight!

Also what medication is she on? There are some that can effect Memory too. My husband couldn't remember if he called his mother on her birthday and was so upset...he did call her but it really bothered him that he could not remember it at all.

Is your mom on an anti-anxiety medication like Xanax or Valium, Ativan? They do help her to even things out so to speak.

Lastly, Your mom also knows that she is dying...there are a range of emotions involved
in that alone. She is going to have good days and bad days physically and mentally. You shouldn't judge her for it. But you should be prepared for it. She will lash out at others, but primarily those closest to her. Think of it as a compliment of how strongly she feels. I know that sounds strange, but this whole process is a learning experience...one we don't want to learn, but will regardless.

I hope this helps somehow,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 weeks ago #15365 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Spoke too soon???
Julieann...a person who is aware that they don't remember things may just have something as simple as a B l2 deficiency. Its when you don't remember that you don't remember that you're in trouble. At any rate i would surely mention this new behavior to her physician. Pat

16 years 3 weeks ago #15360 by julieann
Spoke too soon??? was created by julieann
Well, maybe I spoke too soon about nothing new. I just had a long talk with my sister. She doesn't work (outside the home) and so she sees Mama the most. She goes by everyday after taking the kids to school. Anyway, she said that Mama is having memory issues. She has noticed it and Mama even said she can't remember things (short term). She says the same things over and over. Can't remember what day it is. She gets in bed and can't remember if she emptied her bag etc. My sister also said she is very irritable. She keeps getting mad at Daddy and saying things like "over my dead body" and "when I'm gone..." This is SO unlike her. I know she is under a lot of stress but until now hasn't really shown much emotion. I know the irritability is easily explained, but the memory issues? Anybody else seen this? Am I making mountains of molehills?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne