what to expect

16 years 1 month ago #14941 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic what to expect
Hi Julie,

Yes it is true that lung cancer can spread to the brain, but it is rare for TCC (Transitional Cell Carcinoma) to spread there. Is this the cancer that your husband has? It does happen...but the chances it will spread elsewhere are greater. I did alot of research on this actually because I had a friend who's cancer spread to the brain (a different type of cancer) and I watched what she went through. I was very concerned that this may happen with my husband...but I was told by many Dr.'s the odds are in his favor that will not be where it would spread.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #14940 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic what to expect
I get the impression from Dick's oncologist that the mets might show up anywhere. It is also likely that they will show up again in his lung as that is where the first one is. I do know that lung tumors often go to the brain. So far he there is no evidence of lymph node involvement. I guess the way cancer spreads is either through the lymph system, the circulation system or direct contact.
I expect the scans will give the Dr. information about the mets so they will know how to keep her comfortable. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 1 month ago #14939 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic what to expect
Julieann,

Hi...It is hard to say how fast this cancer grows and spreads...in some it seems like it spreads like wild fire, in others it is a very slow progression...From the research that I have done the most common sites where bladder cancer tends to spread (Metastasize) are:

Lungs
Liver
Kidneys
Bone
Lymph Nodes

There are cases where it spreads to the brain, but they are actually rare with TCC. anyway...

Remember that there are members of forum who like my husband and Bob (Clara's husband) that are coming up on the year mark since diagnosis. I hope that you have alot more quality time left with your mom...

Warmly,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 1 month ago #14937 by julieann
what to expect was created by julieann
Most of you know my story, but just a quick backstory....Mama was diagnosed in July, had RC in Aug., spread to nodes found in January, she made the decision for no chemo. In January, they told us that they didn't see anymore mets (other than the nodes) but they were probably just too small. anyway, she goes back in April and I think she has opted to get more scans just to see where things stand. I know eveyone is different etc, but when they do start to find mets, where do they ususally show up first, second, etc? I know it is impossible for anyone to tell me what to expect, but just knowing kind of how things went for others would help. Thanks for your continued support!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne