test results are in

16 years 3 months ago #13207 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic test results are in
Julieann -- I hope others can help you with the issue of chemotherapy side effects and effects of the cancer-itself. When my doctor asks about symptoms attributable to
the cancer, itself, I don't usually have much to say. I think I have less energy,
I think I get tired after walking less far. Sometimes I have a little cough. I had a gap in treatment from August until November and I think I got more tired and had
less physical stamina during that time, but no pain or anything. That doesn't mean
that there won't be more dramatic effects in the future though should treatment prove ineffective. I think others can tell you of pain and other late effects.

For Chemotherapy. Well, I lost my hair (on my head) twice. My white count, red count and platelet count go way down. I have to limit my social activities and take diet precautions when my white count is low. I get constipated. My anti-nausea medicines work well, so I do not get nauseous or vomit. I need to take naps.

For radiation. I felt fine for the first 3/4 of treatment butI got really tired near the end and had troublesome diarrhea that kept me home (or at places within
60 seconds or less of a women's room.)

My father did not have treatment, except palliative, when diagnosed with lung cancer. He was in his 80s. No surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation. He lost a lot of weight, had a persistent cough, and the calcium levels in his blood were affected.
He died of heart failure just before he was to enter hospice care.

One of the people in my support group had metastatic breast cancer and had always
refused chemotherapy. She was having trouble with patholical fractures due to
bone mets when last we talked.

Others may know more people who haven't included chemotherapy in their treatment
and their outcomes.

This is only my experience and others, including your mother, may have very different journeys.

I am not sure whther or not this will be helpful, but I tried -- Susan (mssmr)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #13201 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic test results are in
Susan,

You words are so encouraging and I am so happy that you have been so well. I do so hope that mama will feel well also. She is thinking about the chemo but isn't sure yet. They told her that chemo would buy her about 6 months but that she would take chemo for 6 months. That the chemo would help with the actual cancer side effects but of course chemo has its own side effects. I know most people opt for chemo and I understand that people may not understand that is she has thus far opted out of it, but.....when they say cancer side effects, what exactly are those and what is worse in your opinion...cancer effects or chemo effects. Anyone know of any story here where there was no chemo? Susan, thanks again for taking the time to write and for all the encouragement. I wish you all the best.

16 years 3 months ago #13199 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic test results are in
Dear Julieann -- Based on my own year (minus 3 weeks -- diagnosed 2-23-07) since diagnosis (at stage 3 muscle invasive with suspicion of local spreading)I think there is a good chance that you mother and you could share a good year. I have had chemotherapy (none of which has seemed to have shrunk my primary tumor nor stopped the spreading or growth of "mets.") Please be aware, though, that my tumor has a rare sarcomatoid varient known to be unlikely respond to bladder cancer regimens
for chemotherapy.

From March-July, I lived alone in a vibrant city (Boston) -- my son lived across town, but works hard at his career and was available only when I said it was essential or for socializing evenings and weekends. I walked 25 minutes uphill for chemotherapy and later (daily) for radiotherapy. I found a wonderful support group at a Wellness Community and we still keep in touch. I found a beautiful park where I walked and which used as a muse for my photography and poetry efforts. I went to the dress rehesrsal of the famous 4th of July Boston Pops 4th of July Concert and other arts events. I only felt really bad about 5 days in that period and no bad days included "pain" just extreme fatigue.

From August until now, I have been teaching college. I've only missed two classes in all. (I got good student evaluations, too. Last semester's students knew about the cancer; I haven't told this semester's students quite yet.)

I've also had the thrill of a son's marriage to a lovely lady with three
children and have been given the gift of "grandchildren" one of my most heartfelt desires. I organized the rehearsal dinner and gave a speech and blessing at it myself.

And: my husband and I went on a cruise, I gave a paper at a national convention,
I did a public poetry reading, I took the whole family to Boston to be together
the week before Christmas -- I am taking one day at a time and feel blessed to feel so well -- even today after a turbt yesterday. (I'm at home with a catheter
today.)

I'm at another juncture in my treatment and need to make some decisions within the next week or so. My CT scan showed more lesions and some growth in a lesion (from 4.0 cm to 4.9 cm since mid-November) and a suspicious new place
though I've been receiving taxol and gemzar as chemotherapy. I am terrified,
but I feel well today.

There is a big disconnect between my objective pathology/imaging and my subjective wellness and enjoyment of life. Oh how I want to survive! But taking it a day at a time, I've had over 300 days of wellness in the past almost-a-year and I
feel blessed by that and wish blessings upon you and your mother.

I know this is just my journey and your mother's journey is also her own. And I do wish you peace -- Susan (mssmr)

16 years 3 months ago #13190 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic test results are in
Thanks you guys. I know I have no control and have to have faith, but right now, it is just sadness.

16 years 3 months ago #13187 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic test results are in
Julieann,

What a rough day you both have had...I remember that day very well...

One thought that helped me, and may help you...Most people don't know when they are going to die...sometimes it is an accident, or heart attack, stroke, or some other event that takes a loved one in a split second...With the knowledge of what the time frame looks like for you mother...spend the time wisely...make it quality time...don't waste a day, an hour, or a minute...Plan a trip, start a scrapbook together, go through old photos where there is no name on the back and write the name, cook together, get great movies to watch...anything to make this time memorable for you both...

(((Hugs)))

.·:*¨¨*:·.Karen.·:*¨¨*:·.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #13186 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic test results are in
Hi Julieann,

It sure is tough to get news like that - my heart goes out to you and your Mom. The choice to do or not do treatment is so difficult.
There is a lady Renee on the forum who is excellent with facing these type issues. I have good faith she will see your posts soon and be of great help.
Thank you for asking about myself - The nurse called to let me know there are no new hot spots. I still see the DR Monday and she said there are things to discuss - just no new hot spots. I am grateful.
I am here and praying for you, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne