THIS HAS HAPPENED TOO MANY TIMES!!

16 years 3 months ago #12680 by momof4
THIS HAS HAPPENED TOO MANY TIMES!! was created by momof4
I AM GOING TO VENT A LITTLE.....

I keep reading story after story of how someone here on the forum has gone through the terrible surgery to have their urine diverted by pouch, neo...or some other way...had their bladder, uterus, or prostate, and everything else the surgeon wanted to take out removed only to find out that the cancer is elsewhere anyway...then come the infections....the defeated spirit, depression...and the work involved in getting the new gizmo to work correctly...

I understand that there are times when a very skilled surgeon really doesn't know that the cancer has spread prior to surgery, It happens with a lot of cancers...but to miss some of these spots like the bone, lungs, kidneys just seems like the job prior to surgery IE...scans...weren't done or read correctly....my husbands Dr. did all of the necessary scans...found the cancer elsewhere...and refused the surgery...

I have to say that 8 months later my husband is a lot better off not having his bladder removed and doing the treatments necessary to kill this beast, than he would have been if he was butchered, and maimed, susceptible to all kinds of infection, faced with the recovery time necessary after surgery...only to then have to decide on further treatments when in a weakened state...there has to be something done about this...

Are some cancers such as carcinoma's more likely to spread?

Maybe if during the initial TUR, and subsequent pathology it is found to be a specific type of bladder cancer, if that type of cancer is found, they will look a little closer for the spread before cutting someone up.

This is not a new surgery, or a new cancer...they have to do better than this...

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne