radiation complications

16 years 3 months ago #12302 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic radiation complications
Hi Aimeth,

We are again in a very similar situation. We have a consult with another Dr. on Mon. regarding a clinical trial. I will let you know if it looks promising...What we are told thus far is that there are NO side effects...It is a drug that used to be for pregnant women who had high blood pressure, but now is found to shrink tumors. They will be giving no placebo either. When I have more info I will PM you. I hope we can help each other through this...

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12301 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic radiation complications
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It has been a very hard year and this is the worse news we can possibly get and yes we are both devastated.

Susan, all I can tell you is from our own experience and what his doctors have told him. Prognosis is, I guess the outcome of the disease. So in my husband's case is extremely poor at this time. We also raise the question of surgery to his oncologist and it is not an option at this time. His doctor said that surgery can be hard and too much on the body and it will not stop the cancer from coming back. For now we will continue with radiation and low dose of chemo but only for palliative purposes. This will also help him by reducing the tumor that has been giving him tremendous pain. But that is all they can do at the time.

We are going to try to do some natural, holistic approach maybe there is something that actually works out there. I was wondering if anyone on this forum have ever tried this form of treatment. There is so many things out there that claims to cure or treat cancer. I guess we have nothing to loose at this point.

Well, thanks, Aimeth

16 years 3 months ago #12268 by Halsmum
Replied by Halsmum on topic radiation complications
Aimeth I am so sorry for your news today...I can only imagine your shock and disappointment, after all your husband has been through.

Keep up with the updates, and remember, as hard as things are and can be, take time for yourself.

Thoughts and many prayers are with you and your family.

16 years 3 months ago #12261 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic radiation complications
Aimeth, I wish you and your husband the best in this difficult time. I'm not sure the time is right to ask you this, but it has been on my mind. When you say "prognosis" do you mean more than life expectancy? I ask because my mets are
in many of the same organs as you husbands (and at least one more location). The kinds of questions I've been having trouble getting answers to relate to what kinds of events are likely to occur when I get sicker. Not pleasant to think about, but helpful for planning, I think. (I am still on aggressive chemotherapy treatment and feeling quite well.) My medical team seems to be taking the position of "wait and see" then palliate. At my next appointment, I am going to ask about any pre-emptive strikes we could make by possibly removing operable mets or ablation. There seems to be a perspective that if you can't "go for a cure" removing some mets isn't worth it (possibly because them might be expected to recur.) I wonder, though, if
removing mets from lungs, for example, only (especially otherwise very healthy lungs) might behelpful even if my liver mets are inoperable.

I guess part of my reason for this repy is to let you know that I have had significant tumor progression, too -- to similar locations -- and after some of the initial shock wore off am feeling stronger and more energetic than I have since
I've been in this fight for survival. I did feel ill right after my radiation (which did significantly shrink my primary tumor). But I felt well enough to work full time before going in for what I thought would be pre-op testing for an rc.
It was then that I learned about all my mets and the surgery was cancelled. That was
my time of shock. Since then, since I am feeling well, I have been trying not to ruin days when I wake up feeling well by worrying about whether or not it is my last "good day." I sincerely hope your husband's palliative treatment does yield
good days again very soon. mssmr (Susan))

16 years 4 months ago #12254 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic radiation complications
I'm sorry your husbands bladder cancer has spread so far so fast. I can only imagine how bad you are feeling. I hope the palliative care can give your husband comfort. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 4 months ago #12242 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic radiation complications
Dear Halsmum,

Thank you for sharing your mother's experiences with me. We did have a wonderful holiday season and I am glad we did.

We just received very bad news about my husband's condition. We had a cat scan 2 days ago and we found out that his cancer has spread to his lungs, chest lymph nodes and liver. His oncologist gave us the prognosis today and as you can all imagine is not good. I can't believe this has happened in such a short period of time I am really in shock and my husband as well. Needless to say we are all devastated.

We are going to continue his treatments as palliative reasons for now. Thanks, Aimeth

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne