radiation complications

16 years 2 months ago #13007 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic radiation complications
Aimeth I am home but was in the hospital for 10 days. I got an infection and they found it was MRSA in my blood ( at first they thought it was VRE )and how it got there is beyond me. I am getting one dose of Vancomycin in the AM right now till they come out this Tuesday the 29th to draw blood and check my levels again because they are high. I did get an abyss on my left kidney was 4.9cm and is now 2.2cm so I had another Ct Scan so they can take a look at that. I am hoping that the meds have kept it shrunk and it did not grow. I am on the same meds and still get pain meds and just for getting tired again like chemo I'm not doing all that bad but I am not too happy that I got this infection and don't know how. The infectious disease Dr's think it got in thru a tear in one of my valves in the heart but alot of older meaning 50 and above have tears in their valves so I was told. I was talking with my surgeon and asking questions and he agrees they may never know how it got in there. Joe ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13006 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic radiation complications
Aimeth,

The pain meds can make it seem like they are never going to "come out of it". My husband also went through a stage similar to that. Ask the Dr. if the dosages can be lowered, see if he can tolerate it, and go from there. He does need a few days to become aclimated to being home again too. My husband is also on Dilaudid 8mg every four hrs. At first he was really out of it, now he is used to them and it is much better. This weakness that seems to come and go is the nature of this advanced stage of the disease. I would expect that in a few days you will see a change for the better. It is such a roller coaster ride I know, I am living it too.

You are in my thoughts,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 2 months ago #13001 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic radiation complications
Well, my husband has just come home, yesterday, from a 2 week stay at the hospital due to VRE infection in his bladder. They also changed his pain meds, due to pain complains, to Methadone and Dilaudid as needed in between dozes.

My husband is not the same. He is totally doped up with this new pain regimen. He walks around the house not knowing what to due. I try to explain to him the meds and he forgets immediately and I have to go over it again and again......among other things. I thought that maybe was because at the hospital he was getting IV pain meds and that he would come out of it today but I am getting worried, scared and not sure how to handle it. I don't know if we bring down the doze he will probably be in pain. I know that his cancer is very advance at this point and they did another cat scan at the hospital and it has been progressing more and now is in the pelvic bone. Before he went into the hospital, he was still mobile and able to take care of himself and make decisions until now. Is this the beginning of the end for him?

Please, I really need some advise. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks,
Aimeth

16 years 3 months ago #12319 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic radiation complications
Aimeth,
So sorry to hear of your recent experiences. Its bad enough to have the drugs but to have to get complications is unthinkable. Everyone reacts differently, just don't know what your going to get. my prayers are with you and your hubby, take care, and keep him comfy cozy..Aimeth I hope you have some help from others, family members to soften this blow you have received. Remember to take care of yourself, get enough rest, I am sure your feeling pretty down right now. Get a breath of fresh air once in awhile!!! Ginger

16 years 3 months ago #12311 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic radiation complications
Aimeth and Karen -- My heart goes out to you and your families. I hope that
a clinical trial or natural remedy emerges that helps you warrier husbands.

If I learn anything potentially helpful, I'l certainly pass it on.

wishing you the best -- Susan (mssmr)

16 years 3 months ago #12305 by marie
Replied by marie on topic radiation complications
Aimeth,
I have been following your thread and have you in my thoughts. I am currently investigating mistletow/Isador - I'm in Toronto and know of a few clinics here that do it...don't know too much about it at the moment but if you google "mistletoe and metastasis cancer" you'll get some articles...maybe you have already looked at this. Thinking of you and of you too,Karen,
Marie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne