Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects

16 years 5 months ago #10704 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects
They do here in NC, at least at Wake Forest.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10690 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects

Hi,

Seems if I remember right, the nurse who accessed my port on chemo days also did alot more than just that. First she weighed me and asked about diet and eating issues. Then she accessed the port and sent blood to the lab for counts. Then she always asked about what meds and side effects I was having. After they got the labs back I was taken to the infusion room and usually my Dr made rounds, any meds were written for or done in my IV then. Also had meassage therapists there and dieticians to help keep you going. Don't they do that when you get chemo everywhere? I hope they do, God Bless, Holly

16 years 5 months ago #10663 by newpatient
Replied by newpatient on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects
Hi Holly,
The Onc mentioned other meds to deal with nausea but didn't name them. Fox Chase treats b/c by giving chemo before surgery. I am not sure if he even said why 3 treatments over 4?? I do know he was really concerned with damaging other organs while administering the chemo. I'm guessing that's why 3 treatments instead of 4.

Hi Karen,
Sorry to hear he's having trouble, wish we could all get through this without so much pain and worry.

Hi Zach!
Good to hear from you. What a great shot! I haven't had a shaved head since I was 5 but when I rub it, it feels just like your picture looks point and all! :D lol
- Carmine -

Age 54 T2 high grade Rx 9/17/2007
RC 4/24/2008 Dr. David Chen
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr. Philadelphia PA
with DaVinci Robotic Assist
Retired from General Motors
1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

16 years 5 months ago #10647 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects
My husband did 2 rounds of Cisplatin/Gemzar, the same routine as you have all posted here. and then the Dr. switched him to CMV (Cisplatin, Verblatim, and Methotrexate) it is supposed to be even more toxic but stronger too. He needs to be hospitalized on the combo week for 3 days. He is getting stomach pains, and the Neuropathy...those are his biggest complaints, other than the "Chemo Brain", and general fatigue...alot of time in bed. I hope this combo does some good...It is alot to go through when we are so unsure of the outcome.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 5 months ago #10645 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects
Hi Carmine,

It is the same chemo -week 1 cisplatin & gemzar
-weeks 2 & 3 gemzar only
-week 4 off
Wonder how they decide how many rounds are needed...I had to do 4 months.
The gemzar was easier for me to deal with...it messed with the blood counts alot I think. There were quite a few shots of nuepygyn sp? and procrit. The cisplatin is worse. I threw up everyday the last 2 months even tho I used compazine, and other anti nausea stuff. Anzemet worked best - but after ins card it was still 200 for 4 pills and I would not pay it. Make sure you have lots of meds for diareah and constipation...You can be one extreme today and the other extreme tomarrow.
Don't expect too much from yourself while doing chemo either - I was a couch potatoe on my busy days. I was done the beginning of August and I am just now getting to feel more like myself :)
You can do it - it isn't a joyride, humor will get ya thru it :) Love, Holly

16 years 5 months ago #10643 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Chemotherapy with Neuropathy Side Effects
I don't have first hand experience but a friend of mine had severe neuropathy after her chemo. It is clearing up but has taken several months. Her oncologist prescribed some medication for her to take. I think it would be a good idea to let your husband's Doctor know about the numbness.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne