What I have been doing to coup with BCG treatment

1 month 3 weeks ago #61913 by Alan
Moffit has a great reputation and getting a second opinion was a good move. As your 1st URO said, your type is a nasty one so stay vigilant.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #61912 by runner1256
What I have been doing to coup with BCG Treatment

Here a little history on my bladder cancer.  In April 2022 I had a TURBT surgery. I was diagnosed with a small 1.2 cm tumor non-muscle Invasive Squamous cell carcinoma a very rare variant. After my first doctor conference all seem lost. His advice to me was to have a cystectomy of bladder because this variant does not work well with chemo and highly rate of recurrence. He told me there not a lot of research on it.  After talking with him and having a second scoping with negative recurrence. I decided to get a second opinion since my tumor and cancer was removed during my TURBT surgery.  I ask myself why would I have something removed when they got it all out? There was no sign of anything coming back yet.  He still advised me I should have my bladder removed. I decided to get a second opinion at the Moffitt Cancer center where I was informed it was way too early to have me undergo cystectomy bladder surgery and should go thru BCG treatment. 

So far I went thru 12 BCG  treatment without any side effects  My last three BGG treatments were better than the first nine for me so far. 

Here are a few things  I have done dealing  with my BCG  treatment and side effects.

First I drink a lot of water right after treatment. I normally have about 5 to 6 bottles of water during first two hours after my BCG treatment. I tried the flush my bladder out fast. Then I usually drink about 2 more bottles of water after that. During the first 6 hour period after BCG I usually drinks 8 bottles of water.  Once I finish with my first 6 hour period after BCG treatment I take a slow walk.

Second  I incorporated more physical activities and started adding exercise into my daily routine to help me tolerate the BCG treatment better.  The night after BCG treatment I usually walk about 2 miles at a much slower walking pace. I don't over due it. I also continue to drink a lot of water.  I have noticed I had less side effects  by walking after my BCG treatment. The next day after my BCG treatment I start back walking my daily routine of 5 miles a day which I do for 6 days a week.  

When I first started exercising it wasn't easy.  I was much older and overweight  but I knew I was ready for challenge. It did take some time for me  increase both my mileage and walking pace over the last year. I first started with one mile walking per day to 5 miles. Over the last year I have increased my walking speed. I went from 18 minutes per mile to 14 minutes per mile walking pace.
Walking help me maintain a healthy body weight. I have lost over 30 pounds of weight and I am now back to my normal weight. 

It's now been over a year and three months cancer free.  My doctor has been impressed with my treatment so far.  As a patient I feel we need to stay positive and use all means in fighting this cancer. 

So I encourage everyone not to let this cancer get you down. Have faith and  create a plan . My plan has worked for me so far. I am planning on staying positive Remember life is too good not to enjoy it. Put your faith in God and everything will be ok.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne